Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What is a good floor covering for a cargo trailer? I don't really need to be able to hose it out, just mop it. Epoxy paint of some kind?

2. When I push the brakes on the truck, the trailer brakes steadily increase pressure until the trailer wheels lock up. Then I have to briefly release the brakes, and reapply them. Both my trailers do this, so I'm guessing it's the controller. Yes? Would a more expensive/different type controller eliminate this problem?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I don't have a recommendation as to what to use.

I can just tell you that I epoxied my last trailer (2011) floor. It hasn't held up real well & needs to be redone.

I'm just putting it off since I'll need to unload everything!

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For number 2 turn your trailer gain down,
That's what I thought, but it doesn't seem to matter where the gain is. If I turn it down low enough that it doesn't do this, it's all the way down. Any amount of braking will cause it to steadily increase pressure. :wallbash:

I think I'll talk to the guys at the trailer dealer. I'll bet it's a cheap/defective controller.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Seven-Delta-FortyOne said:
That's what I thought, but it doesn't seem to matter where the gain is. If I turn it down low enough that it doesn't do this, it's all the way down. Any amount of braking will cause it to steadily increase pressure. :wallbash:

I think I'll talk to the guys at the trailer dealer. I'll bet it's a cheap/defective controller.
What type and brand is the controller?

·
Registered
13,377 Posts
That sounds like a ford brake controller.
Thats what a proportional controller does, through a pendulum it senses the deceleration rate of the vehicle and applies power to the trailer brakes to match that rate.

I read when Ford first installed the dash controllers it was designed by Tekonsha.

Tom

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
tjbnwi said:
Thats what a proportional controller does, through a pendulum it senses the deceleration rate of the vehicle and applies power to the trailer brakes to match that rate.

I read when Ford first installed the dash controllers it was designed by Tekonsha.

Tom
They are different systems. The Ford brake controller is controlled via the brake pedal. When you press the pedal you can see the brake power increase with foot pressure. because it being like this the trailer also works with trailer sway control and RSC systems in the truck. They are vastly better than any if the after market systems. Here's a few pics of me pressing the brake pedal down when I'm at a stand still.

Car Vehicle Technology Ford

Car Vehicle Ford

Vehicle Car Ford

Car Vehicle Technology Electronic device Ford

Attachments

·
Registered
13,377 Posts
Mine is also tied to the brake light system (same as yours, there is no mechanical connection to the pedal). It acts the same while sitting still, the pendulum becomes the primary input while in motion. A hard stop swings the pendulum at a higher rate allowing higher voltage to the brake magnets.

Last things you want is power to increase to the magnets just because you had your foot on the pedal longer or that not enough voltaged past through the controller during a panic stop.

Tom

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Nope it's a totally different system. It works from the pressure you put on the pedal and works nothing like other after market brake controllers. It's not tied into the lights either. You press the pedal 20% it puts 20% at gain 10 into the trailer brakes you put 85% pressure on the pedal it puts 85% pressure at gain 10 on the trailer brakes. That's how it works with trailer sway control and RSC. It's part of the braking system. It's one of the biggest selling points for towing with fords. Dodge tried to copy them back in 2009 but there system couldn't do sway control and RSC through the trailer brakes. Only through the trucks brakes.

Them pictures I posted are of the truck standing still. With me pushing further and further down on the pedal. I am not moving at all.

Look into towcomand on the super duty. Its Basically the same thing. It will explain how it works. Basically its part of the trucks braking system. it's a much smoother experience over any other types of brake controller.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
There is another brake controller out there that works like the ford factory controller. It used to e called the brakesmart controller or something. I believe it hooked into the brake master cylinder, so was very responsive to the brake pedal of the truck. It also works well with elec/hydraulic brakes, which the ford factory controller doesn't work with. I also remember reading on a site once about a guy who had the pendulum type controller and he was descending a steep grade and it totally failed on him due to the truck being pointed so far downhill. They do work well, but also have their weaknesses.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Morning Wood said:
There is another brake controller out there that works like the ford factory controller. It used to e called the brakesmart controller or something. I believe it hooked into the brake master cylinder, so was very responsive to the brake pedal of the truck. It also works well with elec/hydraulic brakes, which the ford factory controller doesn't work with. I also remember reading on a site once about a guy who had the pendulum type controller and he was descending a steep grade and it totally failed on him due to the truck being pointed so far downhill. They do work well, but also have their weaknesses.
They do make adaptors that will work with the ford brake controller that will allow them to function electric over hydraulic systems. I have never had them systems on a trailer as all mine have been electric brakes but they can do it.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I think some of them now are built with a sensor (accelerometer) instead of an actual pendulum. I don't have either (yet), but most of the reviews I've read say that has solved the uphill/downhill problem.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Nope it's a totally different system. It works from the pressure you put on the pedal and works nothing like other after market brake controllers. It's not tied into the lights either. You press the pedal 20% it puts 20% at gain 10 into the trailer brakes you put 85% pressure on the pedal it puts 85% pressure at gain 10 on the trailer brakes. That's how it works with trailer sway control and RSC. It's part of the braking system. It's one of the biggest selling points for towing with fords. Dodge tried to copy them back in 2009 but there system couldn't do sway control and RSC through the trailer brakes. Only through the trucks brakes.

Them pictures I posted are of the truck standing still. With me pushing further and further down on the pedal. I am not moving at all.

Look into towcomand on the super duty. Its Basically the same thing. It will explain how it works. Basically its part of the trucks braking system. it's a much smoother experience over any other types of brake controller.
That's the same with my Chevy, but the screen is below the speedometer

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Tom
I didn't realize that was how they worked. I have more experience with air brakes. :laughing: I wonder if it does that because the controller is mounted under the dash, at an angle?? Maybe it needs to be level??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts