Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just got my trailer stolen and had to buy a new one. The trailer is used to carry around a scissor lift which weights around 4800lbs. The previous trailer I had was a tandem 3500lbs axels with a steel frame that was strong enough for this. The new one I bought was meant more for bulk so the frame seems a little more flimsy. The axels are the same though.

I was thinking of strenghtening the frame by adding support but when I took it appart I realised that the tubing for the cross sections is 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" and the outside frame is 1.5 x 2 x 1/8 here's a pic.

I am not sure if I should remake the whole frame (2x2x1/4 frame will do the job for sure) or if I can get away with strenghtening it. I am planning on putting 2" planks as floor with checkek plate reinforcement where the scissor lift wheels will sit.

Anyone has enough experience with this to make suggestions?

Attachments

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Those lifts are heavy sumbitches! I once towed one with my car trailer that was originally an open deck and the previous owner filled in the center with PT 2X10's. The lift just fit inside the steel sides on the wood and it certainly stressed the wood to brink of almost failing. Only towed it once and that was it. The same place where i rented it had put it on their new 10k equipment trailer with 2" hemlock decking and it broke through that. When i called to rent it i asked what it weighed and they were like "3 or so" so i figured 3k lbs. Yeah right! More like 3 ton or more!

I would either beef up the framing or put down a solid steel bedding with some thickness. Both would be best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe put in heavier front and rear crossmembers then run one down the center front to back below the current ones. And tie it into the new front and rear members.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Old post but I'll still answer just for fun. I would cut out the 1.5 ST and weld in 3x4.1 channel.
Actually after looking at the picture, I would salvage the suspention system and tongue, and rebuild the whole thing. For that size trailer, that's under eight hoursof work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts