Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just order a new 7 x 14 trailer. I'm going to paint the walls, but not sure what is the best to put on the floor to protect the plywood. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Rubber sports flooring. I'd staple a layer of underlayment ply down first, that way demo later is much easier and it will save the subfloor. Rubber is great in work truck/van beds and trailers because it takes a beating and stuff won't slide around very easily.

http://www.flexcofloors.com/products/primesports/index.html

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
If you prefer to slide, then yeah, rubber would be horrible. In that case just paint it with garage epoxy. I prefer everything in the back of the truck to stay where it is without having to brace, strap, and compartmentalize everything. It gives you flexibility. If everything HAS to be in its spot in order to not move around loading up odd sized materials or large loads will make things a pita. If all you use your space for is tools then hell yeah make a specific spot for everything - maximizes area and weight distribution.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I could see that EVA foam being shredded in a week...

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
PrecisionFloors said:
If you prefer to slide, then yeah, rubber would be horrible. In that case just paint it with garage epoxy. I prefer everything in the back of the truck to stay where it is without having to brace, strap, and compartmentalize everything. It gives you flexibility. If everything HAS to be in its spot in order to not move around loading up odd sized materials or large loads will make things a pita. If all you use your space for is tools then hell yeah make a specific spot for everything - maximizes area and weight distribution.
I leave stuff loose on the trailer floor all the time and its always in the same place I left it. Even my kapex just sits on ply on the workbench and never moves a 1/16th inch. I think rubber really is not needed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
VCT. Easy to maintain. Damn near free. It's nice and slick for loading and unloading. If you need something secured, secure it for effsake. Depending on the floor is poor planning.

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
What about these. Not sure what your plans are for the trailer.

http://www.amazon.com/We-Sell-Mats-Interlocking-Anti-Fatigue/dp/B001HDCIIQ
That is what I have in my van with a sacrificial piece of masonite over it. The foam by itself is toward the front where I put tools only. Any debris goes on the masonite. The foam pads won't last long by them selves.

Why not just use a sacrificial piece of 1/2" ply, thing will slide but not slide too much.

I had rubber (nothing slid even when I wanted it to ), and interlocking vinyl tiles ( everything slid including me when walking on it) and came to my solution of masonite over foam. I replace the masonite twice a year

1 - 20 of 37 Posts