Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been trying to redo my trailer for some time now. I finnaly got a chance to start it. here is what it started like. Am building cabinets for it the first one here is 63" long 36" high and 21" deep.
This will also keep me from flooding the show your setups thread with pics.:laughing:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looking good so far Cole:thumbup: Those cabinets almost look to nice to put in a trailer!

Dave
THANKS!

I do have to admit the cabinet is a little over board. Did every thing need to be rabbited and mortised probably not. I had the time this week to do it.

The wife and I were going to take the week off to spend time with each other and our daughter, but some ones dad died at her work. So she had to fill in for her. Since I dind't schedual anything this week and didn't bother to tell the customers my 1month old plans fell through. Basically this is my vacation.:blink:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
THANKS!

I do have to admit the cabinet is a little over board. Did every thing need to be rabbited and mortised probably not. I had the time this week to do it.

The wife and I were going to take the week off to spend time with each other and our daughter, but some ones dad died at her work. So she had to fill in for her. Since I dind't schedual anything this week and didn't bother to tell the customers my 1month old plans fell through. Basically this is my vacation.:blink:

Sounds like a nice vacation to me! Maybe I'm weird:laughing:, but I would rather do stuff that had to do with work or tools on my vacation.

Dave

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Looking good cole, i think yu may need to upgrade your trailor though looks like a 6x12??
break the news to the wife gently :laughing:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking good cole, i think yu may need to upgrade your trailor though looks like a 6x12??
break the news to the wife gently :laughing:
My little trailer is a sore subject it. When I bought it it wasn't the price that concearned me it was the weight. Empty this little trailer weighs 1200# At the time I had a 6c that could not pull the loaded trailer. Then I bought a dually and didn't even know it was back there. Decided I didn't need to pull a small trailer with a dually and bought a v8 f150 it pulls the trailer fine. Wish I would have kept the 1ton and sold the little enclosed to buy a 7x14. Oh well I also didn't think I would grow so fast either.
Cole

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
thats one thing thats hard to predict, growing fast:thumbsup:

i started out with a 6cyl pickup and a 5x8 open trailer, then bought a van e250 extended v8! right before the big boom i sold the e250 and bought a sprinter, i wanted a 2500 single axle, but the sales man informed me that it was cheaper to go with a 3500 dually, i thought hard and said f-it then the disision was short or long wheel base!! glad i took the long This truck really roomy :thumbup:

never got the chance to buy an enclosed but always wanted a 7x14 or 16 daul axel!!

are you gonna hang those cabs you made up or keep them on the floor?

·
Registered
440 Posts
looks good. cabinets look better than the ones in my kitchen :thumbsup:

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,702 Posts
Looking good so far Cole:thumbup: Those cabinets almost look to nice to put in a trailer!

Dave

That's what I was thinkin. For some reason, I can never find the time or motivation to build nice storage stuff for myself. I always just throw it together out of whatever cheap scraps I got layin around.

Trailers lookin good.:thumbup:

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,702 Posts
My little trailer is a sore subject it. When I bought it it wasn't the price that concearned me it was the weight. Empty this little trailer weighs 1200# At the time I had a 6c that could not pull the loaded trailer. Then I bought a dually and didn't even know it was back there. Decided I didn't need to pull a small trailer with a dually and bought a v8 f150 it pulls the trailer fine. Wish I would have kept the 1ton and sold the little enclosed to buy a 7x14. Oh well I also didn't think I would grow so fast either.
Cole

Get ya another duelly & come down & buy my 8x18 WW I'm putting up for sale. You'll be hard pressed to fill it up real fast.:whistling

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats one thing thats hard to predict, growing fast:thumbsup:

i started out with a 6cyl pickup and a 5x8 open trailer, then bought a van e250 extended v8! right before the big boom i sold the e250 and bought a sprinter, i wanted a 2500 single axle, but the sales man informed me that it was cheaper to go with a 3500 dually, i thought hard and said f-it then the disision was short or long wheel base!! glad i took the long This truck really roomy :thumbup:

never got the chance to buy an enclosed but always wanted a 7x14 or 16 daul axel!!

are you gonna hang those cabs you made up or keep them on the floor?
That one is going on the floor between the front door and the rear ramp door. (PAS)
The other one will be hung on the other side. Then I can put the big crap on the floor under it.

Also going to mount the gen on the tounge, tired of moving that damn thing around.

I would love to get a long sprinter dually. Evenetually I would like to get my shop going and get the cabinet tools. Then just make custom crap in there and do very little in the field stuff. Just let the crew handle that stuff.

looks good. cabinets look better than the ones in my kitchen :thumbsup:
Thanks

That's what I was thinkin. For some reason, I can never find the time or motivation to build nice storage stuff for myself. I always just throw it together out of whatever cheap scraps I got layin around.

Trailers lookin good.:thumbup:
Yeah that is what was in there before quick thrown together shelves.

That is a big trailer, I have to decline your offer though.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Cole,
Looks good, I take it that this is going to be a tool trailer?

I would like to suggest a false wall 5" from the drivers side trailer wall use this space to slide sheet goods in, that way you can slide in a couple sheets or 2xS and still access your tool storage. that is the one thing i wish i had done with my 6x12.

Craig

Reactions: skipdow

·
Time Traveler
233 Posts
Why the drivers side? I was thinking the passengers side. because my sheet good currently dictate how I load my passengers side, and I was going to leave a space and the put an E track to give me tie down flexibility. BTW this is next weeks project for me.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cole,
Looks good, I take it that this is going to be a tool trailer?

I would like to suggest a false wall 5" from the drivers side trailer wall use this space to slide sheet goods in, that way you can slide in a couple sheets or 2xS and still access your tool storage. that is the one thing i wish i had done with my 6x12.

Craig
That's kind of like the idea I had putting the upper cabinet high enough off the ground to slide sheets under it against the wall.

Why the drivers side? I was thinking the passengers side. because my sheet good currently dictate how I load my passengers side, and I was going to leave a space and the put an E track to give me tie down flexibility. BTW this is next weeks project for me.
Lower cabinet is going on the pas side because sheet goods would over lap onto and cover up the side door.

Keep the good suggestions coming.

IT isn't very often I haul anything in the trailer other than tools. That is why the truck and racks are usually empty. The cabinets have a flat face so I can strap french/patio doors to them and not have pressure points.

Cole

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Cole the workmanship on the cabinets looks fantastic.

Not trying to be a critic but before I went to a metal rack with plastic bin drawers I had a similar cabinet (not as nice mind you) and the lack of drawer hardware drove me bonkers. I kept sliding out the drawer just a little more and of course it would fall out and dump everywhere.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts