Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 16 foot flatbed tandum utility trailer that i need to haul a JLG 1930 scissor lift on.( 3000 lbs) I need to make a ramp to drive the lift up on . What is the steepest angle the lift will climb and what is the best way to make the ramps. The trailer used to have the sliding ramps attached to a rod that rod and ramps have been removed. it is about 24 inches off the ground.
if this isnt the correct place to ask this question, direct me.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The problem is not going to be climbing the grade/slope, it is going to be getting over the break where the ramp and the trailer meet. It will probably high center unless the ramp is very long.

The JLG 1930 will climb a 25% grade or a 14 degree slope/angle. To put it simply if you had a ramp that extended back 100 inches from the trailer and it is 24" tall then that would be a 24% grade.

But you really need a low slope tilt deck, like a car hauler type trailer. This is what I use to haul our JLG 1930ES and JLG 1932E2. I also have a piece of aluminum diamond plate 3' x 3' that I use like a dock plate, to get over the lip of the trailer, since it has section about 8" wide that is steeper than the deck that those little tires tend to have a problem getting over.

Just calculated with my CAD program the lift dimensions, wheelbase, ground clearance, etc. with you trailer height and a 102.84" ramp which would extend back 100". It will high center with this length and you would need a ramp 10 to 12 feet long.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks , that was very helpful. i will keep a look out for a car type hauler. in the mean time. if i make a 12 feet ramp like you suggested, what must it be made of. ie. must it be "I" beam steel, or will metal angle iron or wood support the weight.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Another thing you can do is keep the trailer on the ball but jack up the trailer to lower the tail down for a better angle. Block the truck/trailer tires too so there is no chance of it rolling away. Some guys advise against this but it has worked for me in the past loading low clearance cars on my car trailer. Once the item is loaded lower the jack so the trailer settles out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update to ramp

thanks guys for all your help. i had been backing my tow vehicules back tires up onto the two little ramps you buy to change your oil. that would drop the trailer tail down a little, i then used a homemade ramp to load my scissor lift on. it worked but not very well and was very heavy and arkward.
GOOD NEWS. i just found and bought two new 9 foot allumuin folding arched ramps rated for 3000 lbs , weighing only 50 lbs. they work great. i no longer have to back up on the truck ramps and the arch keeps the lift from bottoming out .
i found them online . called the black widow ramps. 400 shipped.
i probably spent that much tring to build the other ramps. oh well.
at least i am happy now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts