Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our business is planning on doing a local trade show and we have a choice of having a corner booth or an in-line booth. The difference in price is $140. Should we go for it or does it really matter whether you have a corner booth vs. an in-line booth?

In my "other life" I've participated in a lot of craft shows selling my jewelry and in nearly 20 years of doing them I've never had a corner booth so I don't have anything to compare to. I know as an attendee of shows I walk the whole show and I don't notice myself giving any special attention to vendors in corner booths - if you have what I want I'm going to shop at your booth regardless of where it is located.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Growing up in a family cabinetry business, we always took the corner booth - easier to design an island. We found the corner was easier for people to stand back and admire and for photographers to get a wide shot for the local papers. ;)

All depends on what you're displaying, the size of the booth and the widths of the aisles.

·
Registered
539 Posts
my thoughts,....

For the mere increase of $140.00---take the corner booth.

We do at least 10 home shows a year, and book these shows VERY early for that reason only: Placement.

When we started doing the shows, we'd cram (but neatly cram) all of our products into one 8x10 area...Now we make it a point to rent a double booth, thus giving homeowners room to look around without feeling so cramped.

Don't forget the logo'd shirts,...hats,..etc.--Branding is key.

Most shows only last 2-3 days, so it's imprtant to maximize your efforts to obtain the best results!

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

·
Certified Crazy!
404 Posts
But Paul!!! You show up with one of these to your trade shows! No wonder you say no! LOL :p

If you don't have what Paul has I would say corners are pretty good spots, or a booth near the entry way or bathrooms.

I say no.
Presense is the key, have something to talk about and talk to the walkers.

·
Sean
5,519 Posts
Location, location, location

The corner would probably be better, I have been known to skip a row if it appears to be all pots & pans, or simply miss it when they screw around with the aisles. But wait, all the HO's will go down those aisles, which I want - nope, if they are concentrated on the other guys or simply using your area for standing in - it's not going to help you

·
Registered
470 Posts
My 2 Cents?

The corner is great! But when they come blasting[hopefully] in the front door most will always turn right. Then most will follow like a herd of cattle down the aisle.

It would remind me of my favorite restaurant out in the middle of no where but they pack the house every night.

So just hang a big RED arrow from the ceiling pointing to your booth that says "THE BEST DEALS START HERE" good luck!:notworthy

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Corners seems to be everyones preference, I still say anywhere, but who is across or alongside of you makes a difference also.
I did a show next to a slam bam window guy. He was signing up raffle tickets all day long and every mooch in the show was blocking my booth to win:

1st prize-- $25,000 worth of windows @ $1500 each for vinyl,
2nd prize--A snowmobile.

I told him to rearrange things the next morning, but he ruined it for me with his non stop Carny pitch.

·
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder
1,072 Posts
Corner booth important, working prospects even more critical

Having a corner booth gives more traffic. But I must admit that I would fire the vast majority of people who work a trade show booth. From the moment you arrive at an airport where the trade show is, to the moment you leave ... there is one objective and that is to find leads. I laugh when I walk by a booth and someone is sitting down, or on a cellphone, or even stupid enough to ask "how you doing?". You have between 4 and 12 seconds (depending on aisle versus corner) to get eye contact and ask a very important question .... "Hello, are you interested in ?". Do not do anything other than try to convert a suspect into a prospect. Do not waiste too much time on any one person unless their is a second person asking the question to others who are passing you by. Politely say goodby to someone who is staying too long and indicate that you will call them back ASAP to give more personal attention to them. Remember, everyone who passes you by is a potential prospect whom you will never see again. Go to a show for a reason and stay focused.
Brian

·
Banned
846 Posts
I always get the corner booth, but more important than where your booth is is how it looks.

My booths are colorful, vibrant, and eyecatching. You want lots of interesting detail that makes people stop. I polish up my big ZTR and park it right in the middle of my space. Short of a tractor have the biggest mower in the area. A diesel ZTR w/ a 72 inch cutting deck commands attention. I put business card holders on it, brochures, pictures of past projects. I also have samples of all the landscaping and hardscaping products I sell/install.

The banquet table w/ a white table cloth look is boring. Don't be that guy.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Holy crap, that's awesome. Do they let you drive your truck in the building or do you have to push it? The one in the LC Valley I have to push the mower in. Can't run an engine indoors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts