Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time of year, all the big trade associations are hocking their annual bru-ha-ha's (I just got the NAHB mailer for their Int'l Builders' Show in Orlando).

Do any of you all attend such things with any regularity? How often? Which ones?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grumpy said:
It's nice to have a half day off
WOW! An entire half-day off! Slackin' off these days aren't you Grumpy :D
I guess I know who's not gonna spend a week in Orlando playing golf.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Not at all Grumpy, It's hit the ball away from you, chase it down, try and find it and hit it again. Repeat this around 70 to 120 times and you're really having fun. I never really figured out the sport of pasture pool and I hate the idea of paying to hit your own balls with a club. LOL

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I attend most of the local stuff and only stay a few hours. This is almost entirely a political thing but I always get to meet the new guys and their products.
I'm one of the 'old guys' now and it's kind of fun to see how the newbies try to sell you. It reminds me of when I was in their shoes.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Teetor/Grumpy,

I know this is a bit off topic from this post but you really shouldn't knock golf. I have received many jobs by playing some of the high end courses in my area and playing as a single golfer. Once I'm put into a foursome I work the old "what do you do for a living..." question in and then the conversation gets around to what I do for a living, etc. All these rich guys that want to spend their time golfing and can't lift a hammer are perfect customers. And, since they know you golf you have that in common with them. Also, have you seen a lot of the houses that back onto golf courses? 95% of the people living in them play golf and they love to have a deck to look out onto the golf course.

Just my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
11 Posts
DecksEtc,
You hit the nail on the head, I Design and sell carwashes for living and I am also working on getting my contractor's license and devolping a subdivision.
The first thing I do when I meet a new client is, Meet him on his turf. LOOK & LISTEN Find a common interest. Then capitalize on it. Dont B.S. them only talk what you share in common. Then you can take the conversation any which way you want.
Most of my clients like to see the differant carwashs that my company has built/sold, and since I cover the whole state and as we know, time is money, and pictures can only do so much I always schedule a return trip to that customer within a week and give him the option to pick out any of the carwashes he wants to see and I will fly him there. And when they find out its me who is doing the flying thats starts a whole new thing. Guys love planes and flying. Find a common interest and focus on that. The sale will follow.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Decks. but if you just don't like a sport you can't whore yourself just for some work... at least I can't. Now if a customer wants to play a real sport with me like basketball or karate sparring, I'm ready to roll.

Walking in circles hitting little balls just doesn't excite me.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
1BAD, a fellow pilot! I don't fly as much as I would like to anymore, used to own a LA200 amphibian and racked up a lot of hours between FL and the Bahamas in a lobster business that I had going at the time. Wasn't bad for picking up chicks either. 'Want to go to Bimini for lunch?'. A lot of them thought that I was fooling until I started the preflight. Great way to fish too. Spot fish from air, set down upwind and drift into them. Custom built coolers replaced the rear seats and were nearly always there.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Teetor- Something like this?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Listening to grumpy talk about golf is like listening to a Nun talk about sex. Neither one knows what they are talking about. Golf is a great sport and one of the hardest to become good at. I have heard all the cliches (pasture pool, why would I wanna chase a little ball,) Blah Blah Blah. I agree with the previous posts it's a great way to meet new clients and it's alot of fun even without drinking. I pay alot of money to play golf each year because I love the sport and never even once considered myself a Whore for a job. What and insult.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts