Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I was hoping that I would find someone here, who has some information about:
1. What kind of soils are best for using Tractors with towed scrapers?
2. Does anyone have fixed times for loading different scrapers?
3. Any other way that is used in the industry for calculating the productivity of such operation, except the methods described in the CAT handbook?

I am currently working on a project at Michigan Technological University and I am looking into calculating productivity and costs for doing earthwork with towed scrapers and agricultural tractors. Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tractor pulled scrapers can be a versatile way to move dirt. Types of dirt they perform well in? Mostly topsoil. I have seen guys saying they can move more material with a tractor/pan combo compared to a self propelled scraper. Ive never spent a lot of time around tractor/pan combos, but have spent a lot of time around self propelled scrapers, and if they job is set up correctly, you cant beat them. As for loading times, that has a lot to do with material type, material moisture, and the operator.

For #3. Since you said MTU, im assuming you are at Houghton, Call down to Fabco in Marquette, and ask them if they can get you the latest edition of the Caterpillar Performance Handbook. They may have it in stock, if so, take a drive and pick it up. It has sections dedicated to how to calculate cycle times based on various factors. On your drive to Marquette, stop in at the Hilltop restaurant in L'anse. Make sure to get a few giant cinnamon buns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all so far.
I keep checking this for answers, as there seems to be little to no information out there, and experience will determine the answer at this time.
The CAT handbook, and there software Fleet Production and Cost Analysis (software) works great to determine hauling times, however loading times are the hardest to find. I even timed a few youtube videos to determine turn and unloading times, but there seems to be nothing on loading. :( I'll keep checking your answers... thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts