Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the economy the way it is do i go and rent or buy skid loader with tracks or do I buy a set of tracks for my wheeled skid loader I see a lot of hi drive CTLs (compact track loaders) I am getting more and more jobs in sand need advise!:w00t:

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
id go with the track machine if your not gonna be on concrete alot... look into bobcat there t320 is a beast in just about anything... what type of skid are you useing now cause there offering verry i repeat VERRRY generous trade in values + government rebates on there new machines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
id go with the track machine if your not gonna be on concrete alot... look into bobcat there t320 is a beast in just about anything... what type of skid are you useing now cause there offering verry i repeat VERRRY generous trade in values + government rebates on there new machines.
What does being on concrete have to do with tracks this is new to me what will happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The general consensus is "tracks for dirt, tires for concrete/asphalt".
Whatever you are doing in dirt, tracks are the better option; traction, smoother ride, better control of bucket etc.....
Concrete/asphalt is going to tear either one up in time, but tires are cheaper to replace.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
the concrete and the asphalt takes a beatin on the tracks... tight turns and constant manuvering on the concrete will signifigantly decrease the lifetime of the tracks... and yess to replace a set of tracks the cost is much greater sometimes 2 as much as replacing a set of tires and for a machine like that youd probably be better off trading it in... hows it been to you repair wise

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To DaveVB and digdeep516 I see where you are coming from big time sand paper thank you. On the serious side if a person was to rent or by a CTL just how steep of a grade can they handel straight up and straight down not across the face.

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
The add on steel tracks are very heavy, and can really bog a machine down. You wont be able to push as much dirt around, even with the added traction. Also, if you get to turning in gravel or stone there is a good risk of snapping the track bolts. But on steep grades, they really help weigh you down.

I had a takeuchi with rubber tracks, and i really liked that machine. It left far less rutts than a wheeled machine if i was careful with my turns. The rubber tracks didnt pull up mud either. The big drawback is that the rubber wears out really fast running on concrete and blacktop.

I think i've run everything except maybe a john deere.

·
Registered
178 Posts
To DaveVB and digdeep516 I see where you are coming from big time sand paper thank you. On the serious side if a person was to rent or by a CTL just how steep of a grade can they handel straight up and straight down not across the face.
You can run on a 100% slope up and down. Rubber tracks are the way to go if you're doing mostly dirt work. Tracks in sand however will eat the drive sprockets, front and rear idlers, and the embedded driving track lugs away very quickly, long before the rubber wears thin. Figure 400 hours max on a set of sprockets and tracks with mostly sandy soils work.

Tracks can run $3500 a pair and sprockets another $1500, plus installation. If you get a CTL make sure you charge more than for a tired machine to cover the added costs. The track wear in sand costs an average of $12.50 per hour over their lifetime.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can run on a 100% slope up and down. Rubber tracks are the way to go if you're doing mostly dirt work. Tracks in sand however will eat the drive sprockets, front and rear idlers, and the embedded driving track lugs away very quickly, long before the rubber wears thin. Figure 400 hours max on a set of sprockets and tracks with mostly sandy soils work.

Tracks can run $3500 a pair and sprockets another $1500, plus installation. If you get a CTL make sure you charge more than for a tired machine to cover the added costs. The track wear in sand costs an average of $12.50 per hour over their lifetime.
How much does a person charge for a rental mach. to the customer per hour I have the job on a bib and have some built in on a rental mach. but not enough to purchase one .

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
work something out with the machine rental place... figure out the expected amount of hours and work with the rental company... last time i rented from sunbelt rentals (all green equipment) they had an option where you could buy a block of hours (lets say 50 to 75) for a set price and if you were over youd have to pay the up charge... but otherwise its hard because unless your renting by the day the price can start to spin out of control verry fast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
digdeep going to talk to local dealer and pump him up and see if I can get some of it on demo time let me try this thing man come-on-man.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
yeah i hear ya... most rental places are willing to work with you if your going to tie the machine up for a good bit of time, they arent so apt if your just lookin at it for a day or 2.

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Just so you know, there are a set of slightly used rubber tracks that go over wheeled skid steers on chicago craigslist right now they seem pretty cheap. let me know if you can't find them.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts