Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a job in a 1947 rambler with a flat roof. When we tore down the old 1960s style paneling, there is duct work running through the wall.

The house is heated by baseboard water heat and there is no forced air. The utility room has no sign of ducts coming in.

Each bedroom has a vent on the ceiling with ducting, apparently hooking into this large main vent.

The living room has circular duct covers that also seem to all tie in together on the ceiling.

But I don't know where the main duct goes to. Maybe the roof for an air conditioner unit no longer there?

I thought about using a fishcam to sent it through the ducts and find out where they originate.

Anyways, is there a simple way to decipher the origination of duct work?

thanks!

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I thought about using a fishcam to sent it through the ducts and find out where they originate.
There must have been an A/C there at some time or else somebody ran all the ducts with the intention of hooking up the A/C later and never did.

Camera would solve the mystery.

·
Access Heating & Air
82 Posts
bobjohnson said:
I am doing a job in a 1947 rambler with a flat roof. When we tore down the old 1960s style paneling, there is duct work running through the wall. The house is heated by baseboard water heat and there is no forced air. The utility room has no sign of ducts coming in. Each bedroom has a vent on the ceiling with ducting, apparently hooking into this large main vent. The living room has circular duct covers that also seem to all tie in together on the ceiling. But I don't know where the main duct goes to. Maybe the roof for an air conditioner unit no longer there? I thought about using a fishcam to sent it through the ducts and find out where they originate. Anyways, is there a simple way to decipher the origination of duct work? thanks!
Ah yes. Some prior hack job running you in circles trying to find ductwork. We have ran into a few of those too! Once you get the layout you'll kick yourself for how easy it was to find everything...

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts