Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been Hammered here again and again. But I have to ask before I buy it. First I do not build custom cabinets. But I do knock down a lot of plywood for Closet work. Do trim a lot of doors.I am also trying to leave my table saw at home if I can.Second I am considering the Dewalt for price and Festool for other options.Does a Track Saw really get used a lot if you own one.Or is it a hassle to set up if I am only cutting One sheet. It is a lot of Money if I am not going to use it. Thanks Tony

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
There really is no set up. You set the track down on your marks, pull the saw trigger and cut. I mainly do framing and exterior trim. I bought one last year and have used it dozens of times. Until you actually use one, you don't think you need one. Once you buy one, you will always own one. I have the Festool (bought used) and started with a 55" track. I recently bought a 118" track but haven't used it yet.

·
Registered
13,361 Posts
Easier to transport, carry and set up than a table saw.

I gave up on running sheets through a portable table saw long ago. I will say, I would like to see a video of someone trimming the bottom of a door on a portable table saw, the entertainment value alone has to be way up there.

Tom

·
I like Green things
23,068 Posts
There really is no set up. You set the track down on your marks, pull the saw trigger and cut. I mainly do framing and exterior trim. I bought one last year and have used it dozens of times. Until you actually use one, you don't think you need one. Once you buy one, you will always own one. I have the Festool (bought used) and started with a 55" track. I recently bought a 118" track but haven't used it yet.
It was this year that you bought it.

I am not sure where my bosch table saw is anymore.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
Your right , it was this year. I have used it so much that it feels like longer. There are still practical uses for a jobsite table saw, just not as many as there used to be.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Unless I'm cutting thin strips, the track saw is all I use. I use the 118" rail the most, but also have a 55" and a 32". I do a lot of crosscuts on the MFT.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know this has been Hammered here again and again. But I have to ask before I buy it. First I do not build custom cabinets. But I do knock down a lot of plywood for Closet work. Do trim a lot of doors.I am also trying to leave my table saw at home if I can.Second I am considering the Dewalt for price and Festool for other options.Does a Track Saw really get used a lot if you own one.Or is it a hassle to set up if I am only cutting One sheet. It is a lot of Money if I am not going to use it. Thanks Tony
I have the dewalt, I got a great deal on it. Two tracks and clamps for less than the festool. Check home depot online.

I really have no complaints with it. I will say if dust collection concerns you then buy another saw. The dewalt hooked up to a shop vac is still dirty.

The dust doesn't bother me...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like almost everybody is using Festool. I did put a package together at Bob Marino's site I could not go for the 102" track so I did two 55" It came out to almost 800.00 with the connectors and a couple of clamps. The dewalt is less than 600.00 with the long and short track. Bob says I will be alright with the 2 55" tracks cutting 8' sheets. I guess if I decide to go Festool I will get the longer track when i get a few more bucks together.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
It sounds like everybody is using Festool. I did put a package together at Bob Marino's site I could not go for the 102" track so I did two 55" It came out to almost 800.00 with the connectors and a couple of clamps. The dewalt is less than 600.00 with the long and short track. Bob says I will be alright with the 2 55" tracks cutting 8' sheets. I guess if I decide to go Festool I will get the longer track when i get a few more bucks together.
I have only used the Festool. I have heard that Dewalt and Makita are pretty good also. The Makita track works with the Festool, and is about 30% cheaper. Both of my tracks are Makita.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,245 Posts
Nope no use for it unless you want to be more accurate and better equipped for the job at hand. Festool is worth the money if you want to be clean.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ive heard that all three major track saws work with the dewalt tracks. Anybody know this to be true?

Also can you cut on both edges of the festool tracks?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the dewalt, I got a great deal on it. Two tracks and clamps for less than the festool. Check home depot online.

I really have no complaints with it. I will say if dust collection concerns you then buy another saw. The dewalt hooked up to a shop vac is still dirty.

The dust doesn't bother me...
Home depot is not listing the 2 track package on there site just the saw

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Seems most of what I use my table saw for is ripping narrow pieces ( like jamb extensions for windows). How well does a track saw work for that application? I really want one, but like the OP I've wondered how much I'd actually use it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Brian Peters said:
Seems most of what I use my table saw for is ripping narrow pieces ( like jamb extensions for windows). How well does a track saw work for that application? I really want one, but like the OP I've wondered how much I'd actually use it.
Keep the table saw.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Easier to transport, carry and set up than a table saw.

I gave up on running sheets through a portable table saw long ago. I will say, I would like to see a video of someone trimming the bottom of a door on a portable table saw, the entertainment value alone has to be way up there.

Tom
Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard of anyone using a table saw to trim the height of a door?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
TRMolnar said:
Ive heard that all three major track saws work with the dewalt tracks. Anybody know this to be true? Also can you cut on both edges of the festool tracks?
The dewalt had the tongue thing in the middle not on the edge as the makita and festool have. Not sure if they are the same size raised thingy or not but I wouldn't think they would work so well...

·
Theological Carpenter
78 Posts
I used to install closet systems If you buy one of these, you'll only have to haul that table saw out once in a blue moon. I have a track saw now, but didn't when I did the closets, and I can tell you that it would have made me so much faster and efficient.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts