Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a little hard to see but my Makita wanders at the middle of the cut. It starts out good but then wonders 1/16" or so after about 4" into the cut.

Any tips? Thanks guys/gals.

ForumRunner_20140627_174902.jpg

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically a new(er) unit. Blade cuts clean and is sharp. Have tried adjusting speed, depth, etc. Nothing.

The saw is adjusted pretty tight on the track.

Inner, you might be on to something....... :thumbsup: :laughing:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just use the tracks for a straight edge. The festool saw is worthless when you leave the cord with the vacuum. PC trim saw to the rescue. :laughing:

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Has it been this way since new?

I don't have a Makita, but there are adjustments on the Festool saw. The toe setting may be off on the saw.

Avoid side thrust when cutting.

Tom

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I just use the tracks for a straight edge. The festool saw is worthless when you leave the cord with the vacuum. PC trim saw to the rescue. :laughing:
Isn't the point of Festool to always have a vac with you... :whistling

I think I've made about 2 cuts with my TS55 not hooked up. I was like, what the heck is all this dust??

I use the vac outside even, why pay for it if you're not gonna use it? :no:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I was actually finished with the saw and vac cutting doors. Took the vac to another job because they needed the vac on the way to another job we had to finish out asap.

Back at my job today. I get thrown a extra where the track saw would of been sweet. :whistling

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Frk-elsewhere you asked about lubricant for between the track and saw. None is necessary, it should not be used.

Tom

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I wonder if the track is bowing during the cut (being pulled by blade wander), then springs back when its through.

Does sound like an alignment problem like Tom said....

Maybe a wider kerf blade?

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
He needs to adjust the toe-in. It should be 0.006 between the front of the blade and the back of the blade.

He mentioned elsewhere that the saw is teething when he re-plunges mid-cut. Wrist torque or toe adjustment are the only 2 things that can cause this.

Tom

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
I forgot the Maktia has the anti-tip devices. Make sure that is full retraced, it could be forcing the saw out of alignment.

Tom

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I keep mentioning putting some lube on the track. I think it was more like a wax of some sorts that I saw a guy put on his saw and track. Wood Whisperer IIRC.

I'll have to play with the adjustments some more and make sure all is good with the saws workings.

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
There should never be a need to lube the saw base or track. The colored strips are glides stirs and the jibs are also make of a slick material.

I cut drywall. cement board, plaster, fiber cement siding with my track saw. All I do is wipe the track off before moving on to the next project.

Do you recall to saw being dropped? If so it may have bent the pivot pin.

Tom

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
He needs to adjust the toe-in. It should be 0.006 between the front of the blade and the back of the blade.

He mentioned elsewhere that the saw is teething when he re-plunges mid-cut. Wrist torque or toe adjustment are the only 2 things that can cause this.

Tom
Agree 100% I needed to adjust my Makita after someone threw it across a room on a job site....never found out who did that, but I suspect the painter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts