Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
operator
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much weight can I pull with a 33,000 gvw dump truck? Dot seems to be really geared up to fine everyone this year, even more than normal, and I want to be legal. Thought about getting a tandem but that is just too much truck for what we do and I don't really want to get into trucking as a business.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
i gave up on that guessing game, i hooked up trailer to towing rig, called DOT to my shop, they brought down their portable scales, weighed and measured it all, told me what i can legally haul per axle, where i needed load placed to comply. they didn't charge me a thing for doing this.
make sure you document their findings, so when you get pulled over by another DOT crew, you can show them what their sidekicks told you. saved me all kinds of grief.

·
operator
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i gave up on that guessing game, i hooked up trailer to towing rig, called DOT to my shop, they brought down their portable scales, weighed and measured it all, told me what i can legally haul per axle, where i needed load placed to comply. they didn't charge me a thing for doing this.
make sure you document their findings, so when you get pulled over by another DOT crew, you can show them what their sidekicks told you. saved me all kinds of grief.
I think I am going to go this route if I can get the dot boys to come down here.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
pete, make it about them, their expertise, their experience. DOT guys here like their ego's stoked, will bend over backwards to help you out.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
and those numbers must comply within DOT requirements of the jurisdiction you are traveling in. and i'm quite sure those vary from state to state, so the nomenclature stated on the tag doesn't do a whole lot of good. huge difference in what's allowed here in south dakota, and crossing the line into minnesota or iowa in regards to tire sizes, axle spacing, tongue length, etc..

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
really? then why does the state of michigan have dump truck/trailer combos with solid axles from front to back of truck/trailer to gain more gvw, but that same configuration doesn't work/gain you a thing in any other state? i'm confused here.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
an example:

Michigan has a unique system of truck-weight law based on maximum axle loadings, not gross vehicle weight (GVW). Gross vehicle weight includes the weights of the truck, cargo, fuel, and driver; axle loading is the weight on a single axle. Maximum allowable axle loadings are the same for a standard truck in all states, but Michigan allows use of more axles in combination with lower axle loadings, for a greater gross vehicle weight than other states.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MDOT_013-4-16TruckWeightsMichigan_418609_7.pdf

·
operator
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absolutely nothing and this is what I was afraid of. Now it's a cdl pissing match. I'm going with Gene's idea and just getting a dot jerk to come down and tell me what I can and can't do.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
What does that have to do with a single axle dump?
he's hooking up a trailer,(edit) or so i thought. if all he's doing is hauling gravel/dirt etc. and not hooking anything up, if he's got proper tire sizes, etc...he should be good to go on a single axle.

i know here in south dakota, our bridge laws/axle spacing has a lot to do with how your trailer is configured, tongue length, tire sizes, etc.

what changes peteo's game here, is he's hooking up a trailer. he's no longer throwing 33k of gravel, etc. on his truck and driving away.

·
operator
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
he's hooking up a trailer,(edit) or so i thought. if all he's doing is hauling gravel/dirt etc. and not hooking anything up, if he's got proper tire sizes, etc...he should be good to go on a single axle.

i know here in south dakota, our bridge laws/axle spacing has a lot to do with how your trailer is configured, tongue length, tire sizes, etc.

what changes peteo's game here, is he's hooking up a trailer. he's no longer throwing 33k of gravel, etc. on his truck and driving away.
Yes exactly. Need to know how big of a load I can tow on a tag trailer. I figured on buying a 20 ton tag which I know is overkill for a single axle but there's a lot of them around for relatively cheap. From time to time I need a 315 excavator or a dozer and need to know how large of a machine I can handle. Usually anything large we rent and just have delivered but sometimes it's more cost effective to get it ourselves and now we're going to have the capability to do so.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I agree with Day. Probably a good idea to see if you can get some dot guys there to tell you what you can do. Although, that kind of seems like inviting the fox into the hen house. Here in OK, the dot is the OK highway patrol. Not sure if they do this or not.

Do you have a cdl, a dot carrier #, intrastate, or interstate? I think if you have a dot number, you are supposed to have a cmv administrator on staff for all the paper work crap; drivers and vehicles.

I am so sick of all this dot and cdl bueacracy, I'm ready to shed myself of all their crap. This latest deal with the medical certification verifications has led to a huge mess here in OK. Some drivers got their drivers reduced to regular drivers licenses without notification.

Bottom line is its more and more government infringement on the small businesses trying to make a living harder and harder. B--- S---.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you can't get the dot to come with scales try a scrap yard and give them a few bucks to weigh the rig together then do the math to figure out the remaining load limit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In ohio, I use a single axle semi, GVW 33,000, 13,000 front axle, 20,000 rear axle, 20 ton tag trailer, makes total of 53,000 GVW . Truck weighs 10,400. Trailer weighs 5700. . 10,400+5,700=16,100. So 53,000-16,100=36,900 that is what I can legally haul on trailer, as long as there is no more than 20,000 lb per axle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh the tag has 2 20,000 lb axles. Also in ohio you can only have 20,000 per axle regardless of rating with 80,000 max regardless of number of axles, unless you have overweight permit, then you can go more weight but again only 20,000 per axle.

·
Registered
866 Posts
In ohio, I use a single axle semi, GVW 33,000, 13,000 front axle, 20,000 rear axle, 20 ton tag trailer, makes total of 53,000 GVW . Truck weighs 10,400. Trailer weighs 5700. . 10,400+5,700=16,100. So 53,000-16,100=36,900 that is what I can legally haul on trailer, as long as there is no more than 20,000 lb per axle
I doubt it. The problem is there has to be 20k on the FRONT axle. Not possible, unless you are gonna push the trailer. Then the length or span between axles comes into play.

Bottom line is, if they want to find something wrong, you're going to get a ticket.:sad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts