Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on tow behind post augers. We build in central Texas so there is a mix of soils and rock. Currently we either use post hole and hand augers or ren a skid.

Is this a viable option until I can buy my own skid?

How does it fair in caletche or with small rocks?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Where @ in Tx. I’m in Hill country rock, caliche & clay. Only successful augers I’ve seen are carbon tip or bullet augers w/replaceable tips. Got a buddy that does nothing but holes, that’s all he uses

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just rented one of those tow behind augers for some regular dirt and clay in south TX. It was a breeze to use. Make sure the handle is folded back when hauling. Mine wasn't. It touched my bumper and left a mark. Anyway, when I got mine, it was the only one and Home Depot let me take all the bits. In rough rocky dirt, I would use a small bit, then just size it up like drilling metal or anything hard. Naturally, it isn't cutting through actual rock. If a hand auger works, the tow behind will blow your mind. The engine balances it so it weighs almost nothing. I have my 12 yr old boy push down on the engine while I puled it up fast enough to clear the dirt from the hole. I did 4 holes 24"x12" (10" with a wobble LOL) with it in about 30 minutes and only paid half a day.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I used a tow behind easy auger for the first few years before buying my mini skid.

I think a mini skid is a much more versatile machine if you can swing the extra cash. More power for drilling than a towable also.

Also if you do fence replacements along with new installs it makes quick work of pulling old posts out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts