Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm from Virginia. Our current client base is in northern Virginia and we are working on building up a client base around Charlottesville, closer to our home.

My husband started in the mid 90's as a handyman. Gradually the projects got bigger and now we're a class 'A' contractor hoping to be building homes soon. We met in 2000 and I instantly became the bookkeeper. ;-) As our business has grown, my responsibilities have changed. We finally realized he was loosing too much time on the jobsite dealing with phone calls. I am now meeting with clients, doing the estimates, basically getting everything ready to go for him to step in and either do the work or manage the subs. I also handle the marketing and still do the bookeeping.

I'm really focused on learning how to estimate. My husband has used HomeTech to assist him for several years, but I don't find the program very user friendly. I have spent some time recently researching other options, but haven't decided on anything yet. I want to find something I can really learn how to use, so for smaller jobs I can do the estimate when I first meet with the client.

I also need to learn more about the sales aspect. Currently I meet with the client and get all the information I need to do an estimate. I then email the estimate to the client and follow up. I'm reading on the forum about other ways of doing this and would like to try other options.

I look forward to learning a lot on this forum and getting to know the search function well in the process. :)

Thanks,

Stacy

·
Registered
539 Posts
Good Morning, Stacey--and welcome to the site.

I'm sure you'll find boatloads of useful information that will help you in the future.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just remember that regardless of the software used it is the estimator themselves that make the estimate good or bad not the program. The type of software you use will be determined on what you want to use it for. There are programs available that you can scan blue prints into and they will do a good deal of the work for you. You would still be wise to double check all the figures. Some jobs that are more standardized can be set up in excel spreadsheets where you simply have to update the materials prices and add any thing that may be more customized to the particular job to it. I don't believe in using just one estimating method across the board. Rather I try to tailor the approach to the specific needs of the estimate and job. For quotes on site (small stuff only) there are several programs available that use excel and have databases both self updating and user updated. For large jobs I prefer to do them in my office and take my time. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Stacy,

That is the best intro post I've read in quite awhile. I'm certain you will get a lot out of this forum and suspect you will be a contributing member. Your insight on the search feature is golden.

Welcome.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do pretty well on just a small client base within a segment of the population in Alaska. Looking to build up is always nice, but advertising is expensive. I have been toying with the idea of going web only.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts