Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guy strip the computer before sending it to recycling? For privacy or reuse value?
I pulled my cd/re writer out of my old one and was able to reuse a few years later on a new one.

·
1,745 Posts
I always pull all info off the drive, remove it and drill a couple holes through it before sending it on it's way.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Do any of you guy strip the computer before sending it to recycling? For privacy or reuse value?
I pulled my cd/re writer out of my old one and was able to reuse a few years later on a new one.
A DVD drive is 20 bucks...If it has a good power supply I'll keep that but everything else goes. I don't drill holes in my hard drive, I don't care if someone recovers my old ****.

Reactions: Tom M

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,489 Posts
I bet this guy wishes he would have spent a little time securing his old information...

NEW CASTLE, Pa., Jan. 6 (UPI) -- A Pennsylvania man has been charged with child rape after an electronic notebook he sold at a flea market allegedly contained images of him with a young girl.

Donald A. Miller, 43, of New Castle was charged with two counts of rape of a child; seven counts each of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, indecent assault of a person younger than 13, and photographing or filming or depicting on a computer the sex act of a child; and six counts of aggravated indecent assault of a child, police said.

Miller sold the notebook to a woman at a flea market for $225. The woman brought the device home and took a photo of her daughter. When she opened the photos folder she discovered several photos and videos of Miller sexually abusing an 8-year-old girl, the New Castle News reported Saturday.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
As has been stated most parts like power supplies and DVD-RW drives can be had for 20$ or less. May hold onto the RAM modules if they are still usable in another machine.

As for the hard drive they are always fun to use for target practice. I always either physically destroy them, or wipe them with software, 1 pass is good enough with 0's or 1's. Won't be able to recover anything.

Depending on the size of the hard drive I usually just throw it in another machine if its SATA if its IDE I trash it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
As has been stated most parts like power supplies and DVD-RW drives can be had for 20$ or less. May hold onto the RAM modules if they are still usable in another machine.

As for the hard drive they are always fun to use for target practice. I always either physically destroy them, or wipe them with software, 1 pass is good enough with 0's or 1's. Won't be able to recover anything.

Depending on the size of the hard drive I usually just throw it in another machine if its SATA if its IDE I trash it.
A good power supply will run ya more than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
LOL Generally have to transfer data anyway - that's the fastest way.

I take em apart if trashing. Someone wants my info bad enough they can find the pieces

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
You are correct, however chances are if you are trashing a computer the power supply in it a comparable model in today's market can be had for 20$.
Maybe 40 bucks for a cheapie but a good one is 150. ATX hasn't changed that rapidly.

·
Expeditious Member
29 Posts
I am glad he didn't too!

I usually open my old hard drives and remove the magnets that run the armature. They are the neodymium type, very powerful, very useful. The rest of the machine is normally of no use to anyone so I just put it in the metal bin for scrapping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts