Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im 26 years old the company i work for is slowing down im just looking to keeping my options open i have my ticket for cement finishing during the summer i have enough work on the side to keep me busy but i wondering what will i need to open up a business in toronto as a GC thanks for any input .

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
There's a GC license, but damned if I know anything about it. Basically an Ontario Business Number, (OBN) is good enough to get you started. And GST registration. The gov't more worried about collecting taxes than it is licensing contractors. Get that and $2,000,000 worth of liability and you're pretty legit.

·
Registered
688 Posts
You'll have to apply in person to get a license from the City of Toronto, but I suggest you phone them first to get all the info you need before going to their office. Contact info:

City of Toronto
Municipal Licensing and Standards Department
East York Civic Centre
850 Coxwell Ave., 3rd Floor
Toronto, Ontario, M4C 5R1
Phone: 416-392-6700
Fax: 416-392-3196

Also, remember that Mississauga is a separate city and has its own rules and licensing so be careful if you take on any jobs west of the Etobicoke Creek (in between Hwy 427 and Dixie) as now you will require a separate license. Contact info:

City of Mississauga
Transportation and Works Enforcement - Business Licensing
300 City Centre Drive, Ground Floor
Mississauga, Ontario, L5B 3C1
Phone: 905-896-5657
Fax: 905-615-4486

1 - 4 of 4 Posts