Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am in the market for a used pickup. I live in Oshawa, but commute to Toronto every day for work. I will admit I don't know much about pickups, but have wanted one for as long as I can remember.

It should be decent on gas. I know I will be using a lot more than I currently do. Right now I drive a dodge caravan. With no back seats I can move lots of stuff. (Not that I do daily).

For my day job I don't have to carry anything, but with my side business I frame basements, build decks, etc. So the truck should be able to carry a nice big load of studs, PT lumber, etc.

For Durham/Toronto should I get 4x4? Worth the extra money? I hear 4x4 drivetrain uses slightly more gas. Everyone I talk to says the 4x4 is really nice to have in winter, but is it really necessary?

To sum it up, budget is about 13k. 2005-2007 pickup that's decent on gas, can haul some lumber, and preferably crew cab/ext. cab.

Thanks guys!:thumbup:

Dustin

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would always go for 4x4 and I live in the city, not all roads are plowed in winter and this can be a problem, the 401 will always get plowed ASAP when it snows but not sure how it is in the 'shawa,
Truck wise... I am a dodge guy, getting a 2500 for your budget might be hard but not impossible, diesel, will be next to impossible.

Having said this, I do have a 2013 ram 1500 4x4 gas, total pig.
2012 ram 3500 dully diesel, better but not every day city truck,
2012 ford f 250 4x4 heavy duty gas, great deal at $18,000 with 60k, it needed approx $4000 worth of work, ford where awesome and took care of this at no extra charge, this was a major plus towards ford, a couple of dodge and gmc dealers would even let me take trucks to my guy to get looked at.
2005 gmc 2500 diesel, great work truck.

I know a dealer in coberg that always get great deals, I can pass on their info if needed.

Good luck.

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would always go for 4x4 and I live in the city, not all roads are plowed in winter and this can be a problem, the 401 will always get plowed ASAP when it snows but not sure how it is in the 'shawa,
Truck wise... I am a dodge guy, getting a 2500 for your budget might be hard but not impossible, diesel, will be next to impossible.
So you definitely recommend a 2500? How are they on gas compared to a 1500? It won't be often at all that I need to load it up with stuff.

edit. So after quickly looking at 2500's on Autotrader, they all have big 6 litres. Can't imagine they are very good on gas.. Thinking a 1500 would be more suitable.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
You seen my truck Dustin
That beautiful machine :laughing: was only $2500
2wd.
From the perspective of a 1 year driver with 4 months of winter driving experience 4x4 is not really that necessary. Even in the ****tiest deepest snow, i was able to power through it with some patio stones in the back. That being said, i would like to get 4x4 on my next truck.
I also would look for a extended cab atleast. My single cab is pretty good for most things, but i always wish i had just a little bit of conditioned dry space for.. lunch.. compressor (on cold days) etc.
8' bed!! Don't even look at anything but an 8' bed. I have mine packed, on a regular basis between hauling lumber and tools and doing weekend jobs.
Plus! A crew cab 8' bed looks bad ass.
Don't even get me started on diesel (dear santa)
Hope this is somewhat helpful.
I also recommend a cap. Caps are the best. Plus alot of people don't acknowledge this but chicks dig caps ;)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what kind of interest rate do you get for a 5 to 10 year old truck?
You can get a NEW plain Jane truck for just over $20,000 with 0% interest . I'll bet the payments are the same.
Five years from now, buy what you really want.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,278 Posts
For Durham/Toronto should I get 4x4? Worth the extra money? I hear 4x4 drivetrain uses slightly more gas. Everyone I talk to says the 4x4 is really nice to have in winter, but is it really necessary?
4X4 is not necessary. I plow, so that's a 4X4. If you have to drive in the middle of bad storms with unplowed roads, 4X makes sense. Other than that, 2WD with a tub of salted sand in the back for weight will get you through most things, and if you happen to pull into a sloped drive that's sheet ice, you can sand and get back out. Sheet ice on drives is my most common use for 4X4 if I'm not driving in heavy snow. Second most common is sheet ice on hills, before the sanding tucks have gone through. If I didn't have to drive in the middle of storms, I'd just wait until the road plow trucks have done their thing, and go all 2WD.

BTW, my general strategy is to use 2WD, and only use 4WD if I get stuck. If you get yourself stuck when you're in 4WD, you're really stuck.

I use a 1/2 ton, which is plenty for most people. Not all 1/2 tons are created the same, even with a given make / model. The "off road" and "tow" suspensions tend to be beefier.

If you're going to do a lot of concrete work and load all the bags in the back, you'll need at least a 3/4 ton, and a 1 ton isn't too big. Gas mileage will really hurt, though.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what kind of interest rate do you get for a 5 to 10 year old truck?
You can get a NEW plain Jane truck for just over $20,000 with 0% interest . I'll bet the payments are the same.
Five years from now, buy what you really want.
As far as interest, you are likely to be looking at around 8-15% but that all depends on who you go with and your credit rating.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Gotta love the comments from various people who say things "this truck is a pig on gas" and so on. I hear it all the time. News flash! Trucks are not econo cars. You don't buy a truck for fuel economy.

To obtain maximum fuel mileage in a truck highway, keep the RPMs below 2000. If I want optimal fuel economy in my RAM 4x4 I set cruise at 1900rpm. Keep off the throttle around the city and you will do ok.

Make sure plugs are all gaped properly. Install a hi-flow air filter like a k&n or a complete cold air intake system. Keep your oil changed bang on or early and check tire pressure every once and while. Also look into a Superchips tuner. They are fairly cheap and you can tune your PCM from your driver seat for various conditions. Fuel economy,performance,towing and so on. I have one for my truck and it works great.

At the end of the day it is a truck. Don't expect Honda civic MPG.

·
Registered
677 Posts
To obtain maximum fuel mileage in a truck highway, keep the RPMs below 2000. If I want optimal fuel economy in my RAM 4x4 I set cruise at 1900rpm. Keep off the throttle around the city and you will do ok.

That sounds like a plan if ye don't anywhere in a hurry, also kinda hard to keep of the throttle in the city, damn taxi's.

How do ye highlight quotes?

·
Registered
258 Posts

That sounds like a plan if ye don't anywhere in a hurry, also kinda hard to keep of the throttle in the city, damn taxi's.

How do ye highlight quotes?
Driving at 1900-2000 is the speed limit 100-105km/h. Map quest and other software basis distance on speed limits. Use that for quotes.

If your on the throttle constantly anything is going to be bad on gas. My old work van I used to drive the piss out of was a Chevrolet astro. I was always on the throttle with it loaded with tools and it got great gas mileage. The best I ever got was around 720kms to a tank mostly highway. If you want MPG, decent power and A+ reliability get one.

I have heard as of late they are increasing in value though. Mine was a cargo and if you really wanted you could get AWD.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Make sure you consider the market before you say you don't need a 4x4. While they cost more, they will hold their value better and you will have a far easier time selling the truck in the future. Around here you have to sell 2WD trucks cheap as they become a seasonal vehicle especially after a winter like the one we just had.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
What is considered good L/100km? for a truck.
Im so used to my old truck that when i brag about my best mileage people squak :laughing:
Sure fuel is not exactly cheap... but if i want to drive its just a cost.
Besides, the connivence far out weighs the $100-$130 i might spend each week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts