Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I know that torch-ons are not particularly recommended in regions with heavy snowfall or rainfall - but what exactly constitutes "heavy"?

Would 7-feet of snow annually and/or 36-inches of rain qualify?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Contact the manufacturer of the product you are considering and ask them if the product would be warranted for your project. I think Chicago is a high snow area, we're not Canada but have plenty of snow and torch applied modified bitumen reigns supreme with the home depot contractors around here. Quite a few reputable roofers use it too. It's a good product when properly installed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
One of the best roofs ever made, under lots of snow too. :santa:

Although it is getting to be less in demand vs epdm's and pvc's.

Must be the open flame factor...the guys love it for the keeping warm and melting ice factor though.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My father has been putting on torch down for about 35 years in Minnesota which gets some pretty nasty Winters. To date no call backs. About a hundred or so in total with the largest sections of roofs only being 8-10 squares.

One reason why more and more roofers may be getting away from torch down is the high insurance cost.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I've stoped promoting torch applied modified bitumen due to the fire hazard. Since we still do torch on request, there is no insurance savings unless we completely stop doing any torch work period and we're not ready for that. However all the low slope roofs we've done this year of any signifigant size have been TPO. We've only done modified on shingle-tie ins and then use self adhering if weather allows.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I have laid THOUSANDS of squares of torch mod in Chicagoland over the past 20 years... no ingherent problems with it whatsoever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts