Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is torch down a good system for a flat roof?how long does it last and lastly is it hard to apply?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
We install many APP (torch down) roofs every year. We use Firestone APP 160 because it has superiour hold at the seams. We've used other products and have had call back issues with them, because of seam splitting.

How long will it last? This depends on how well it is installed and what type of torch down you use. If you install a single layer ontop of an insulation you should expect an easy 10 years. With proper care and maintenance you can probably extend that to 15 years. If you do a double layer of torch down, with the top layer granulated; expect 15 years easy.

·
APPLIED RIGHT
383 Posts
torch-on..

torch-on originated in europe and there are roofs 50+yrs that are still holding out.should be applied by a proffesional.:blink:

·
Registered
536 Posts
They were popular about ten or fifteen years ago here but now are almost extinct. many suppliers dont even stock it anymore. used to use Derbigum,Dibitan and us intec also GAF had one called Ruberoid. Ruberoid was the original name for GAF corp back in the old days. Like anything else in roofing experience is key

RooferJim

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My father has done some that are still holding water 25 years later.

Yes, you want to make sure the installer is very qualified when it comes to installing torch down roofing products.

10 years would be safe to say with most any flat roofing product but due to the heavy weight of the roofing product 20 years are very possible with torch down.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Thicker sheets with multiple layers of polyester reinforcement will generally give you a longer life.

Add a couple of base plies mopped down, and you can easily get 20 years. Problems I commonly see are from lack of experience or apathy in the install. BAse flashings are incorrect, or absent, no terminations, faulty heating, perminter flashings are less than adequate, if there at all, etc. Hire the pro for the flat roofing.

·
HOT... Smells like Money!
35 Posts
An oldie but goodie!

They were popular about ten or fifteen years ago here but now are almost extinct. many suppliers dont even stock it anymore. used to use Derbigum,Dibitan...
Are you kidding? Almost extinct!?

Were doing a CA Derbicolor job 460 sqs. right now,

Last year we probably installed nearly 1000 sqs of just derbicolor.

Unless it's a spec job we will use derbigum GP for all flashings on our BUR's .

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Its just extinct from Jim's shop. Modifieds are going on everywhere.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not just my shop the whole Boston area and north east
There is still some of it around, but if you call a Bradco or a Beacan in this area they will tell you the same thing, they dont sell all that much anymore. who knows it could make a comeback I know that Sopreama " I think thats the right name" is speced on certain jobs, but the single ply systems have an excellent track record partly I think because there are some good installers in this part of the world. regional trends maybee

RooferJim

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Derbigum was extinct for a period of time until the current company bought the right to use its name awareness and brand recognition to remarket their revised product.

At one time when I had inside information about the manufacturers of modified bitumen products, their were only 12 or so actual manufacturers but over 200 individual private labeled brand names. ARC was one such manufacturing facility which produced an extremely inferior product, owned by a conglomerate of local Chicago large roofing contractors, and I was at their facility to pick up various other brand name product in the marketplace.

Ed

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I heard bad things about ARC back in the early daze....Derbigum was produced by Owens Corning for a while, and sold to anybody as an off-the-shelf product. When this happens, you can be sure the jacks will be ruining a name once again.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Arc sucked big time with tremendous splitting failures. Ricky Rosenow was one of the principles in that gamut as well as a few of the other big names I'm sure you are aware of.

I worked for Hans Rosenow for several years and still keep in touch with alot of the old guys. Heck, most of them were my weekend hot crew when I would knock out a Chili's Restaurant or a TGIF on one Saturday after I had my kettle an dpipe set up on Friday with all the insi and roll delivered on the roof before those guys got there.

I didn't like the original Derbi-Gum also. There was hardly any bitumen on the top side of the fiberglass reinforcement layer.

Ed

·
Registered
458 Posts
what was that one torch applied manufacturer,...brydon,or something like that.What ever happened to them?

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
What happened to Rosenow? All of a sudden disappeared.

I like the old Derbi. I am now laying polyurea over 20 year old stuff as repairs and waterproofing. The angel hair has to be removed, though.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Aaron,

Divorce was one of the things and also from what I've heard, they did one really humongous job, and didn't do it per spec regarding a double layer of insulation that was supposed to be staggered on some large facility for a company like Alcoa I think.

Roofwiz,

Are you referring to Brai, by US Intec? Or possibly Dibuten?

Ed

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are many different systems available, and I would never install a torch-down for one critical reason : Setting the building on fire!! I would be very careful myself if I was doing the work, and I wouldn't trust anybody else. "" .. sorry about burning down your house, I just took a break to finish my Big Mac."

·
Expert Roofer
322 Posts
well then close the torch valve,torchdown is very popular here ,rubberoid (stocked by bradco)and siplast,also ARZEE/ALLIED stocks certainteed flintlastic which i probably like the most,did plenty of BRAI(still have rolls in the shop:laughing:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts