Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a Q & A article for a large contracting organization about RRP and they were wondering what some of the top RRP questions contractors have. If you could give me some questions you have about compliance, it would really help. Also, if someone else mentions a same question you had ... mention it again, so I know that this is a more hot topic type of question. You can mention more than one question. Questions can be in the gray area of what is and what is not RRP or questions that have you perplexed. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Def ask them about the vac specification. They are so vague on what passes and what dont that i bet 95% of contractors are not using vacs that are compliant and pumping all that lead dust back into the air.

Also 100% of contractors and home owners want the opt out rule back. make sure you remind them about that lol

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Where is the line between disturbed paint, and transported paint. If I pull the hinge pins on a painted door and dispose of it, do I have to set up an RRP area?

When removing painted wood trim, does the entire surface area of the board count as disturbed paint?

·
Designer/Contractor
3,640 Posts
If I am a general contractor using subs on the job does my company need to be RRP certified if the subs are or can we not be since they are?

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
If I am a general contractor using subs on the job does my company need to be RRP certified if the subs are or can we not be since they are?
You must be.

My question is "What are the real world ramifications for a home owner if their house tests positive for lead. How will that effect the resale value of the home." This seems to be a taboo subject with those who made the rules.

·
1,021 Posts
I'm with Bcc 100% of homeowners and contractors want the opt out rule reinstated. Otherwise here is what is happening in the REAL WORLD, I'll let the cat out of the bag. The homeowner would rather do all demolition than have to pay for the RRP mandated practices for the contractor to be able to do it for them, therefore the homeowner will do all the demo themselves and contaminate the entire home then call the contractor to come back in and reinstall all the new materials. I'ts just the way it is, the more regulation the more people will come up with a way around it. In the end it costs the contractor in lost work for the demo part and the HO is P.O. ed at the EPA because they had to use their vacation time to demo their bathroom. I have got all my RRP certifications and specialty tools to do RRP jobs but in I bet 95% of cases the HO will opt to do the demo themselves, so really the RRP laws are not doing anything for anyone, see where i'm coming from?

·
1,021 Posts
You must be.

My question is "What are the real world ramifications for a home owner if their house tests positive for lead. How will that effect the resale value of the home." This seems to be a taboo subject with those who made the rules.
Really there are none to date I don't believe, possibly in the future though. The only thing that would cause trouble in a home sale with an older home right now is if the buyer calls a contractor to go look at the home they are looking to buy. I have quite a few people who do this. Then I always tell them right away that if the home is built before the cut off there could be some costly repairs due to the RRP rule. I have never once heard a realtor explain this to anyone and try to get around the subject when I bring it up. Same goes for septic systems, they always skirt around the two. As for selling a home with lead in it there are no ramifications at all, you can sell a home with lead in it, then it's the new buyers responsibility when upgrades or additions are done.

·
1,021 Posts
You MUST be certified because You are the GC. Your subs MUST also be certified or the fines will come to you also. If you have employees you can give them on-the-job training but You the one who is certified must do the final inspection and keep all the paperwork involved.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
Really there are none to date I don't believe, possibly in the future though. The only thing that would cause trouble in a home sale with an older home right now is if the buyer calls a contractor to go look at the home they are looking to buy. I have quite a few people who do this. Then I always tell them right away that if the home is built before the cut off there could be some costly repairs due to the RRP rule. I have never once heard a realtor explain this to anyone and try to get around the subject when I bring it up. Same goes for septic systems, they always skirt around the two. As for selling a home with lead in it there are no ramifications at all, you can sell a home with lead in it, then it's the new buyers responsibility when upgrades or additions are done.
I realize there aren't any "official" ramifications, but I am wondering what will happen when someone looks at one house that has been tested and has to divulge the presence of lead and one that has not, or has tested negative. I wonder if people will start to stay away from the ones with lead causing even more stagnation in the market.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good questions for the article. Thanks for letting me know them.

The more the better especially if they are duplicate questions.

Appreciate the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts