Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven't posted here in a very long time but this find is worth posting again.

I find my self many times looking for that old school good quality tool and I have more than one that are made this days, but seems that they just are not up there as the quality as the old ones.

For example for mixing thinset I use my Makita DS4000, nothing wrong with this tool and has been used for around 13-14 years of constant heavy duty usage. I'm yet to change the brushes cause there is another year more to them, changed the cord twice which is normal. But I also changed the switch twice.

I honestly have no room to complaint about this tool over replacing switch twice in 14 years, but when I see my friends Skil 3/4" drill all metal as in ALL METAL!!! even the switch is made out of metal, he is yet to change anything on the drill besides cord and brushes.... All beat up but runs like a champ for almost 37 years!!!! I honestly don't think if anything goes wrong with the drill he can get it fixed, doubt they are parts for it....

Speaking for me being nostalgic about the old school tools I actually landed on one and got it for $160, its made by Stanley new one old stock, made in the 1962, not as strong as the Makita but kind of close even though is rated at 3.5 amps vs the 9 amps Makita DS4000 but quality I know is there quarantee, here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/120865276540?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Speaking of they don't make them as they used to or do they? Well they do but not here and seems nobody is trying to import them even though they have been imported to UK and they have all tool variations in 110-120V and 220V also, they have covered both markets but I never seen them here in the US. They are called Rally Wolf and they have 50 years of experience of making mostly industrial tools http://ralliwolf.com/

Makes me wonder if anybody ever used any of their tools? Here are few pics attached of some of their current line up, they have many more but here are just few

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have an old Dayton drill, looks exactly like that last one, but silver.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an old Dayton drill, looks exactly like that last one, but silver.
Heard of them and have seen some of them floating around ebay from time to time.

Funny thing is seems that back in the days there was only one or maeby few manufacturers making the drills for all the brand names such as Black and Decker,Stanley,Craftsman,Thor,Skil,Sioux,Van Dorn,Dayton etc etc etc

I came to this conclusion because all of them they look the same depending on the year they were released, then must of been one or few giant factories producing this tools and then they just slapped the branding on them and sold them as theirs....

·
Registered
810 Posts
The Harbor Freight phenom is an interesting thing. One of my installers stole my hammer drill way back when. I was angry about it, but was never willing to go buy the drill that was stolen. (That's when you feel it)

So I bought some 35 dollar piece of Chinese crap.

Works great.

·
spazman
Flooring
761 Posts
I bought a craftsman puematic quarter inch crown stapler for about $90 15 years ago. I wanted to get a diecast but it was over $300 and I just couldn't afford it at the time. The craftsman went for almost 15 years and put down alot of underlayment. My friend with the duofast always seemed to have it being repaired. When the craftsman finally bit the dust I replaced it with another craftsman. I had really bad luck with a dewalt hammer drill. It got replaced by as craftsman and haven't had any problems.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I bought a craftsman puematic quarter inch crown stapler for about $90 15 years ago. I wanted to get a diecast but it was over $300 and I just couldn't afford it at the time. The craftsman went for almost 15 years and put down alot of underlayment. My friend with the duofast always seemed to have it being repaired. When the craftsman finally bit the dust I replaced it with another craftsman. I had really bad luck with a dewalt hammer drill. It got replaced by as craftsman and haven't had any problems.
Funny you mention that about the Duo Fast gun. I have an almost identical story. Installer buddy of mine bought the $300 gun several years ago and ribbed me about my $50 Hitachi pawn shop score. Not only does my Hitachi never jam, never leaves a proud staple (unless you dead center hit a screw), but it will run as fast as you want to run it and have air to supply it. His Duo Fast has been in the shop several times and is a slow, heavy, p.o.s. - I can literary fasten off two sheets to one side by side.

Reactions: spazman

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
I bought a used Roberts power stretcher from a pawn shop 30 years ago. Shortly after, Crain had a special on a stretcher with both heads. The Crain lasted less than 6 months. I still use the Roberts. I have had to fabricate a couple parts for it, but it still works great.

·
Registered
810 Posts
With all due respect, Roberts stretchers are crap. The Crain 500 is vastly superior.

As to staplers, I just had my 20 year old Senco SKS quit on me in the middle of a job. I paid 250 dollars for it way back then. Ran to Lowes and bought the new POS Senco stapler for 89 friggen dollars. It's a piece of crap, but it cost less than 4 boxes of staples.

Watcha gone do?

·
spazman
Flooring
761 Posts
The dewalt hammer drill I mentioned in the above post kind of soured me on dewalt tools. For what I spent getting it fixed several times I could have bought 2 of the craftsman I have now. The last time it quit I went to sears and bought my craftsman. For all I know the dewalt may have just had a loose wire or some other simple thing wrong but my patience ran out. It got sold at a garage sale for $5. Good bye and good riddance.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
With all due respect, Roberts stretchers are crap. The Crain 500 is vastly superior.

As to staplers, I just had my 20 year old Senco SKS quit on me in the middle of a job. I paid 250 dollars for it way back then. Ran to Lowes and bought the new POS Senco stapler for 89 friggen dollars. It's a piece of crap, but it cost less than 4 boxes of staples.

Watcha gone do?
The Crain I bought new was the one with the square tube. It was junk from day one. They wouldn't fix it or replace it. The rep even admitted that they were bad but said that Crain would do nothing. Even when new, they told me to remove the lock to make it work. That helped for a short time.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If you thought Roberts had good tools and now they don't, or junk and now worse, QEP bought them.
Just like a Japanese company is buying Jim Beam, you can't lower quality on some products without losing customers.
I look for quality tools wherever I can find them, yard sales can score some American made tools from guys having workshops.
And I buy some saying come on baby make it through, always have a backup plan!

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
I agree. Roberts tools declined in quality after QEP bought them. Most of my tools predate QEP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts