Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,480 Posts
Would ya lookit dat.

There it is.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Sound strange.... a big breaker bar and my pipe cheater....

Not very glamorous, but seems our simplest,in this case leverage tools, are probably the most valuable.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have one of those quart caulk guns for putting adhesive on floor joists. It has a "Y" at the end so it will ride the joist. I think at that same time I got a "stud tuner" to position studs and joists before nailing.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I have one of those quart caulk guns for putting adhesive on floor joists. It has a "Y" at the end so it will ride the joist. I think at that same time I got a "stud tuner" to position studs and joists before nailing.
Never seen that Y thing...think I'll make some kind of coat hanger thing next time ....

Don't know what a stud tuner is.... but my 24 or 18 offset pipe wrench sure straitens studs out.

Best

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,022 Posts
My multi tool, pin templater, and coping saw.

There's hundreds of uses for a multi tool, you all know that.

The templater is great for cutting baseboard to any uneven surface or if I have to match a baseboard without pulling a piece of existing base off the wall I can just conform it to the profile and carry it into the store, saves guessing.

The other carpenters at work don't see the value of a coping saw, I think they're crazy. I forgot it on a job recently and it's driving me nuts not having it in the tool box.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My multi tool, pin templater, and coping saw.

There's hundreds of uses for a multi tool, you all know that.

The templater is great for cutting baseboard to any uneven surface or if I have to match a baseboard without pulling a piece of existing base off the wall I can just conform it to the profile and carry it into the store, saves guessing.

The other carpenters at work don't see the value of a coping saw, I think they're crazy. I forgot it on a job recently and it's driving me nuts not having it in the tool box.
So you're saying you have a hard time coping without it?

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
The string is timeless and pretty self explanatory. I have found so many uses for a nail or even a well placed block of wood. The simple things end up being so useful and definitely the best bargains.

If I was pressed for a newer tool, I would place the laser first. I also have grown to love the track saw and pump jacks.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The string is timeless and pretty self explanatory. I have found so many uses for a nail or even a well placed block of wood. The simple things end up being so useful and definitely the best bargains.
If I was pressed for a newer tool, I would place the laser first. I also have grown to love the track saw and pump jacks.
A mess of different/varied size big rubberbands.... for glue up.

Latex paint..... remember all the old (only) oil paints. Changed an industry/trade overnight.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The Fein MM for sure.

The other one that really surprised me is my little 12V Bosch Impactor. Nothing better for starting screws in tight spaces. I found this out while retrofitting drawer slides in an old kitchen. Those tiny screws are a PITA, and kept falling off the tip on my screw gun when I applied pressure. When finally started, it was difficult to keep enough pressure on the screw to prevent cam-out.

The little impact drivers solved both of these problems. Didn't even have a problem with the slides on a a bank of 7"-8" wide drawers!

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The Fein MM for sure.

The other one that really surprised me is my little 12V Bosch Impactor. Nothing better for starting screws in tight spaces. I found this out while retrofitting drawer slides in an old kitchen. Those tiny screws are a PITA, and kept falling off the tip on my screw gun when I applied pressure. When finally started, it was difficult to keep enough pressure on the screw to prevent cam-out.

The little impact drivers solved both of these problems. Didn't even have a problem with the slides on a a bank of 7"-8" wide drawers!
Good one. And to get to the back wall for anything, I like to use hex heads + bit extensions. No messing around.

41 - 60 of 164 Posts