Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Two that come to mind that have been mentioned.

1. Knippex pliers wrench-I don't even like to use crescent wrenches any more.

2. Impact driver- I borrowed a friends and started shopping for one the next day.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
What tool(s) do you now have that make you wonder how you got along without them for so long? :wallbash:

A) 2 employees in their mid-20's-should have hired some 15-20 years ago

B) pipe staging. Can't tell you how wonderful it is now to climb up 2-3 stories and have that 5 ft. wide sidewalk wrapping level around the perimeter of the work area .

C)propane fired soldering iron for copper work

D) Money- both my investment portfolio and adequate working capital in the business

Stephen

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Californiadecks said:
My multiQuip Mix "N" Go. It was life changing to not mix in a wheel barrow anymore.
You pour your own cookies? The lumber yard here has them already poured. $7 for a 12" cookie or $3:50 for a 60 lb bag of premixed

·
GC/carpenter
43,634 Posts
Gary H said:
You pour your own cookies? The lumber yard here has them already poured. $7 for a 12" cookie or $3:50 for a 60 lb bag of premixed
Yes, We do our own footings. I use premixed bags a lot but I still have to add water and mix it. This machine does that. Works great for deck footings and sometimes I do fence posts. :whistling:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Californiadecks said:
Yes, We do our my own footings. I use premixed bags a lot but I still have to add water and mix it. This machine does that. Works great for deck footings and sometimes I do fence posts. :whistling:
Before premade cookies we used to set the post and then dump the bag of premixed around the post dry. Now I look back and think how dumb that was. But that's the way everyone did it in the day. Some still do it that way but now we are required to place a cookie u dee the post. Some inspectors will check and will red tag the job if there is no concrete under the post

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Before premade cookies we used to set the post and then dump the bag of premixed around the post dry. Now I look back and think how dumb that was. But that's the way everyone did it in the day. Some still do it that way but now we are required to place a cookie u dee the post. Some inspectors will check and will red tag the job if there is no concrete under the post
What do you guys call a "cookie"..... that round , almost stepping stone" pad.....

Don't you have to pier it in MI..... and I would think Mike has to pier it being in Cali.... even without freezing/heaving issues. .....

Hell, he probably needs a cubic yard hold down pad , fully caged with #6, with $500 of Simson hold down krap on a heliac welded frame and a sign that the deck might cause cancer.:thumbup:

Best

·
Registered
101 Posts
My spring nail set, it makes a good impression on the job from peope watching me everytime I take it out.

Cordless 18v 6 1/2 Dewalt circular saw, I'm amazed how many cuts I get out of it with a Lithium battery, I've installed a lot of millwork without ever taking out the corded saw.

I second the right angle drill attachment, I have the Milwaukee one and it's been a life saver several time.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
What do you guys call a "cookie"..... that round , almost stepping stone" pad.....

Don't you have to pier it in MI..... and I would think Mike has to pier it being in Cali.... even without freezing/heaving issues. .....

Hell, he probably needs a cubic yard hold down pad , fully caged with #6, with $500 of Simson hold down krap on a heliac welded frame and a sign that the deck might cause cancer.:thumbup:

Best
Concrete cookies are about 8" thick and round. Different sizes for differ t loads.

Piers? No way! We drill a hole, drop a cookie , set the posts. Pole barns and decks the same way.

And to add to the horror I have never seen anyone put a post cap on concerete to hold the treated wood off a concrete porch. I do it and always get funny looks from the lumber yard because I am the only one doing it.

Back on topic.

MM is the best tool along with the liner link chain saw. Makes cutting stringers fast and easy.

Lasers. Although around my area , its still a rare item to see anyone have or even used one.

Alum-a-pole pump jacks.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
tedanderson said:
Three things I can think of right off the bat:
That first pic looks like the tool Arnold used to pull that tracking device out of his head though his nose in " the running man" movie. Still makes me cring when ever I see that.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Rail saw (mine is a Makita), Oscillating tool (Fein Multi-master), Gecko guides, CTL, impact drivers..to name a few.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is any tool that claims to be a multi-function tool. My experience is that they don't perform any function anywhere nearly as well as the single function tool.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
PrestigeR&D said:
If you think about it,..the best tool, by far,...is the thing residing in your skull.......:laughing:..:clap:

That ,IMO - is one you can not live, or work ,....without.....

B,
That's true. The human mind is the most powerful weapon ever built. Nothing comes close to what it can do

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Multi-tool, pc drywall sander seem to get more action than I anticipated.

The roto-zip makes clean work of hanging, and is usually good for making a HO smile....

image-144929014.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving!:laughing:

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Maybe this is just too obvious....a vac at least 5 HP + reusable fine particle filter. I like the portable one, too....and the one you can stand on.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,579 Posts
If you think about it,..the best tool, by far,...is the thing residing in your skull.......:laughing:..:clap:

That ,IMO - is one you can not live, or work ,....without.....

B,
Mines missing :whistling

21 - 40 of 164 Posts