Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tool(s) do you now have that make you wonder how you got along without them for so long? :wallbash:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Long list---20 years back a carpenter let me borrow a finish gun---that started a life change.

Some years back I got a large cabinet saw----I still kick myself that I didn't get one 40 years ago---what an improvement.

A couple of years back I needed a tiny tool for cutting out rotted wood---the multi-tool joined the pack---I figured it was a special use tool that would seldom get used.--wrong-----that 'magic tool' has seen a lot of action---

·
Registered
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yup, definitely the multi-tool.

Even small stuff can be a pleasure, like getting nice hand tools..hammer, screwdrivers, good paint brushes, better cordless tool set, etc. You go "what was I thinking?"

Drywall screw setter bits.

I'd even add various flashlights and reading glasses. :thumbup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
This right angle attachment is one of those tools I don't use a ton, but when I do need it, it's a life saver.

Channellock 4½" pliers. I've had a pair for around 15 years. Love them. Not my hand or pliers or ugly couch, but this is them:

·
Registered
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What got me thinking about this thread was turning a nut in a tight space. I'm considering one of those Craftsman ratcheting wrenches that grab everything. They seem gimmicky, but might be worth it after all.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,275 Posts
The ratcheting wrenches are awesome. Not gimmicky at all. Alot of electricians use them. I bought GearWrench. Very good quality.

As far as tools that you wonder how you got along without them, years ago I bought a 4' ladder. I have no idea why it took me so long to buy one, guess I finally got tired of using a bucket, or 6', but that was revolutionary.

Then there was the Breaker Tracer Kit. There are some places where you can't just stick the no-contact into the receptical, and go back to the panel and start guessing. :thumbsup:

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Every tool got its worth and I realized that since my first set of tools hanging on my key chain and from there it got more complicated and it went to lots more of worthy and expensive toys...

Even when you think you got everything you need, someone uploads a picture here and a nice review of another worthy tool and again you begin to realize that you cannot go with out it no matter how much it cost :laughing::thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The ratcheting wrenches are awesome. Not gimmicky at all. Alot of electricians use them. I bought GearWrench. Very good quality.

As far as tools that you wonder how you got along without them, years ago I bought a 4' ladder. I have no idea why it took me so long to buy one, guess I finally got tired of using a bucket, or 6', but that was revolutionary.

Then there was the Breaker Tracer Kit. There are some places where you can't just stick the no-contact into the receptical, and go back to the panel and start guessing. :thumbsup:
That's funny. I did the same thing regarding 4' ladders. And I especially don't miss the aluminum one that kept gouging me in the leg from the edge of the brace. Still sits in the yard....where it belongs.

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
The multi-tool has to be number one on my list. After that I would say the "extra" cordless tools. Like the sawzall, circ saw.

Another tool that comes to mind is a tool that I pretty much always had but never used it to its full capability, is the 4 1/2" grinder. This has been my go to tool when it comes to installing not only metal roofing but also vinal siding & soffits

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Wow..... It would be easier to think of non-necessary tools.... well maybe not.

My kid gave me a Bosh bull-dog years ago.... now on my third... use it for anything I gotta whack repeadly.... stucco off walls/concrete chipping/digging/tile removal.... oh yeah drilling in concrete.

Multi-tool.... wish the blades were cheaper.

Ground down florescent handled (so I can find it) 25 cent screwdriver for popping back-stabbed receptical wireing.

I travel to Cali to build for my kids, and even though I take enough tools with me to "work around" most all jobs, I am constantly tearing out my hair when I don't have that tool that would do a job easier/faster that I left at my shop.

Oh yeah, certainly never needed it for 30-40 years, but a customer gave me a stilletto two years ago, and can't explain it, but sure love it... kinda sad though, I think my old eastwing is mad/upset at me.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Cordless 4 1/2" grinder and cordless 6 1/2" circ saw.

When the free Makita cordless tools were going on I got the recip saw, grinder, and circ saw. The recip saw was really what I wanted and thought the other two would be nice to have for little things. I just imagined they would be gutless.

I love that little grinder. I use it the most. Especially when copping.

The circ saw I have actually done a couple jobs start to finish and never pulled out my corded worm drive.

The recip is the one that sits the most.....go figure.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Please enlighten me.
Top pic is a fast cap tip magnet. They are stupidly expensive, like 10 bucks, but worth every penny when you need to screw with one hand or a hard to reach place. It holds the screw right on the bit and it if doesn't go it will fall back onto the magnet, not on the ground.

Pic 2 is a starret angle finder. You can use it anywhere and it will tell you the exact angle as well as the miter cut (angle/2). It is super handy on all kinds of things. Even outside corners on base that aren't perfect, you can use that thing and know exactly what cut to make, no running back to the saw, no test cuts.

This a review of another variation: http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/07/29/starrett-prosite-protractor/

·
Punching above his weight
11,430 Posts
What got me thinking about this thread was turning a nut in a tight space. I'm considering one of those Craftsman ratcheting wrenches that grab everything. They seem gimmicky, but might be worth it after all.
Hey not for nothing but Craftsman/Sears ripped this tool off of the original manufacturer LoggerHead. http://loggerheadtools.com/
Sears used to sell them but then realized that they could undercut the Made in USA version that LoggerHead makes and put out their own Made in China version.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,157 Posts
PLS 180 laser. Kreg Foreman Pocket holer. Edge sander. Kremlin 10:14 AAA spray pump.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts