Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working in Oakland, part of the city of Pittsburgh, got to the job approx. 8:30 am went to the company van at 10:25 to find the rear window out, door open and tools gone! The funny thing is it was parked approx., 300 yard from the CMU (college police) Station. Called the office, told my boss, did the police report, etc. Some people have some very large hanging JUNK to do this. Ok I am fine now! I was pissed!

My company co-owner/vice president, said if the insurance doesn't cover my personal tools, they will!

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
I hate to hear that, Dave. Also, glad to hear your employer is going to make it right.

On a side note, insurance that covers tools stolen is quite expensive and cost prohibitive to some of us competitively bidding with tight margins. But, it is what it is, and insurance coverage I am going to get asap.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I hate to hear that, Dave. Also, glad to hear your employer is going to make it right.

On a side note, insurance that covers tools stolen is quite expensive and cost prohibitive to some of us competitively bidding with tight margins. But, it is what it is, and insurance coverage I am going to get asap.
i have about $40k of coverage on my tools in the trailer currently. need to adjust it a bit but that costs me about $800 a year. Well worth it and covers for almost everything.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
It don't matter police station or a parking lot full of people. This guys working fast, they open doors as it was theirs truck and nobody suspects anything.
They hit trucks where you least expect for it to happen. All my doors have child locks and I keep them locked, even if they break the window, they cannot open the door.

With that said, I hope you recover everything...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dave... Looks like Oakland still sucks. There's some pretty shifty places here around pittsburgh. Let me guess a rental property? I went to one today to look at some stuff and walked out ... One of those houses I'm glad I exercise my second amendment rights . Thought for sure I was gonna get robbed

·
Registered
819 Posts
had my fan stripped of tools a few years ago....inner city of Milwaukee...i no longer work in that area.....on the few occasions i had to i hire someone to sit in a chair and guard my van...the customer either pays for my van security or i dont work there

my insurance took 5 weeks to pay.....i dumped them and got a better/more expensive one......most insurance companies pay quick

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
That sucks. I PHVCKING HATE THIEVES!!! 10 years ago I had 2 vans broken into and they stole 7K worth of tools. Vans were backed up to the garage doors, in a gated community, with 'Security Patrol'. I'm still pissed about it. Some 'Security' they had. The HO blew a gasket and offered to reimburse me (I declined - have insurance).

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
They need to cut fingers off .......

Sorry,....just how I feel...

It would be a big deterrent from steeling IMO...

Maybe they will finally understand that it it is not ethically acceptable to steel ...Immoral and unacceptable....

Instead...they get a slap on the wrist,,,,,:rolleyes:

Cut them off.......they'll learn.....

JMPOV,...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Man Dave sorry to hear that!! Freaking pieces of garbage!! I'm guessing it was some crack head.

I did a couple of jobs in Oakland last year right by CMU. I said never again! I hate working in the city! I can remember some shakey looking characters walking up and down the sidewalks, I swear I spent more time checking on the truck and putting tools away in between than working. And maybe a tad of chick watching:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
797 Posts
Did the cops spend time investigating? Or is that a thing of the past. Sorry. I bet you had a favorite tool or two in there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
that sucks, and the people that buy the tools from them are in the same class..I had a building right across from the police station that got broken into the cops were never there..lowest of the low for sure..

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
The worst part is that the thugs who stole them wouldn't even remotely know how to use them.

Thieves need certain body parts removed so they have an understanding of what they took from you.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
I couldn't agree more Ron.......

I was ripped off in college..., they ripped my brand new stereo and speakers out of my Chevy chevett .....it was unnerving...:rolleyes:

Cut the fingers- start there - and work your way down - just keep removing things.......

Pretty soon, the problem goes away........:whistling

1 - 20 of 55 Posts