Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys take your cordless tools, impulse tools, nail guns, compressors, liquid nail, etc. out of the truck every night when the temps get below freezing?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've never taken my Makita lithium batteries in from the truck. Been there since 2010, of course our winters are not as brutal as some parts of the country.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
I only take them inside if I need to charge them. "Inside" would be my unheated garage. I hate charging batteries onsite anyways. The tools themselves should be fine though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
JPConst1005 said:
I've never taken my Makita lithium batteries in from the truck. Been there since 2010, of course our winters are not as brutal as some parts of the country.
Same here. Our kit is always in the truck at night, this is the first winter for our Makita kit but we have had a few below zero nights, and have not had a problem. When trying to charge it just needs to warm up a little then all is normal after that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Same here. Our kit is always in the truck at night, this is the first winter for our Makita kit but we have had a few below zero nights, and have not had a problem. When trying to charge it just needs to warm up a little then all is normal after that.
When I first got them to replace my old DeWalt NiCad drill, I was pleasantly surprised how well the lithium batteries held their charge.

I could charge the NiCad, put it away for the day, pull it out for the next and it would be dead. :censored:

This winter my lithiums sat in the truck for a couple weeks and they were good to go without charging. :clap:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I usually try to charge any batteries at home. Although, It seemed to help a little in getting started by bringing the air-hoses inside during the cold spells. I couldn't recall how many times a fire barrel was the first thing to clock-in.

Maybe them days are gone for a while and we can all get production back on track.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I bring in the batteries to charge. Impulse gun would be a good idea but we hardly use it. I put the air splitters on the dash and hoses on the floor for the ride in. Once in a while some guns too.
When we are on site we have a large garbage can that normally holds our cords and hoses that we use as a heated spot. We tip it on its side next to the generator exhaust and heat up whatever needs to be heated

·
Registered
258 Posts
It gets as low as -20 on ramdom nights and mine sit outside. Never had any problems. Silicone and other adhesives sometimes come inside.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I don't take anything in. But if its a small quick job I will usually bring what ever battery tools or paslodes up into the cab with me for the ride to warm up.

If its a bigger job, I just think when I get there in the morning what I will need for that day. Then I will bring the tools into the HO's house in preparation.

Dave

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
I have a little tote bag that the charger and batteries go in. Easy to carry in at the end of the night.

·
Registered
38 Posts
JPConst1005 said:
When I first got them to replace my old DeWalt NiCad drill, I was pleasantly surprised how well the lithium batteries held their charge. I could charge the NiCad, put it away for the day, pull it out for the next and it would be dead. :censored: This winter my lithiums sat in the truck for a couple weeks and they were good to go without charging. :clap:
:thumbs up:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I've got 6 Milwaukee L ion batteries that stay in the trailer with below zero weather.No problem.Guy that works for me has Rigid and the weather killed his.They did replace them and now he takes them in every night.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I leave my Milwaukee m18 3.0 and 4.0 batteries with the tools in the cold and their fine.
My paslodes on the other hand barely work when it 35 degrees out.Usually the gas cartridges....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts