Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hammer handle slaps against my leg all day and has become very annoying. Does anyone know of a product or method that I can use to stop this from happening? Is this just me or does anyone else have this problem? Please help! Thank you for the feedback!

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Grow taller or use a shorter hammer.

I put mine in the very back of my belt. That has it's own problems if you fall off a ladder and jamb it into your spine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have worn it in the back as well, but is still slaps the back of my leg. It sounds like you have the same problem, but just deal with it. There has to be something out there to help with this issue. Thanks for your reply!

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I have it on my right hip. It works pretty well.

They do have hammer holsters though, I've never used one so I don't have feedback on it

·
Registered
541 Posts
I like to have a hammer loop on my belt right behind my right bag, so it stays up pretty high above the back of my knee and isn't centered on my spine. I also like to have one on the back of my right bag that I use in situations where I'm carrying two hammers. I can deal with it hitting the meaty part of my leg, but when it starts getting me in the knee it's like a reflex that just makes my leg want to buckle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
doug, those do look great, I will have to try them out. They dont appear to address the hammer handle swinging issue tho. I assume you just deal with the hammer handle hitting your leg when you walk/run around the site?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steex, I hear you, it is when the hammer handle hits below the thigh when it starts to get to me. Trying to get it up higher could help. thanks for the feedback!

·
Banned
21 Posts
I keep it in the chest part of the rig I've never had it bother me...the detachable bags are nice too you can have multiple sets for different tasks or lose them completely for finish work (no bags to bang on doors and finished materials)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sam - I agree, it is worth a try, but I dont think it will secure the handle from swinging. It might allow us to position the swing of the handle so we can control where it contacts our legs. Good feedback, thank you!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I got the fastcap hammer holder a few weeks ago. Definetly reduces it from swinging around and smacking me in the leg, definetly worth the $

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wilson, is it hard to get the hammer handle in and out of the holder quick? It looks that I would be fumbling to get my hammer in and out of that type of holder versus a metal ring type.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I had a higher hammer loop added to me bag. I'll snap a pic later today. Was only $12 at the leather shop.

Cole

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
No loop for me. I just stick it head down in my right pouch. I started doing this for the exact reason you are talking about.

Reactions: Gary H
1 - 20 of 42 Posts