Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Toolbelt first aid kit?

6K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  EmmCeeDee 
#1 ·
Anyone carry a small first aid kit in/on there bags?

It always seems when you get those little injuries that require some attention, your nowhere near the first aid kit or your in a location that you can't get out of that fast such as on a roof or in a crawlspace. I'm thinking of maybe getting one of these pouches: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/de/de8d4ab2-6475-4dc1-9781-a62235173d9a_300.jpg
to stick on the back of my toolbelt where I have a pocket I never use and putting a few first aid type supplies in it so I have them where I am.

#8 ·
I ain't worried about bleeding a little. I just don't want to leak blood everywhere.

I keep a huge plastic tool-box in my truck at all times. It's a prepper's medical dream come true.
If I can't get from where I'm standing to where my truck is fast enough for what's in that box...I'm gonna need more than a first aid-kit.
I wouldn't think of it as a major emergency kit, just something for the cuts that won't stop bleeding, like the aformentioned coil stock cut, or the wood splitting wedge I took to the shin a couple weekends go.

There have been few instances where a quick bandaid & ointment would have saved me pain for weeks. Like the time I got a nasty infected cut finger changing a toilet seat in an apartment or the time tore the tip of a finger up with a drillbit. The later case, I didn't even have a first aid kit with me. I'd looked at it that morning as I left my shop to install a fire extinguisher bracket in one of the apartments and thought I wouldn't need it. Somehow, I was drilling a hole in drywall for the anchors and my finger met the side of the brand new, razor sharp drillbit. The first aid kits at work are kept in the front of the workvan which could be anywhere from 10 feet from the ladder up to 1/2 a block away.

#6 ·
I keep a huge plastic tool-box in my truck at all times. It's a prepper's medical dream come true.
If I can't get from where I'm standing to where my truck is fast enough for what's in that box...I'm gonna need more than a first aid-kit.

#18 · (Edited)
#20 ·
I'm a Medic-First Responder, so I keep a pretty advanced first-aid kit in the truck. I always tell guys, "Depending on what stupid thing you've done, if I can get to you within a minute or two, I've got a pretty good chance of keeping you alive until the Big Boys with the good drugs and equipment gets here." It's not as advanced as plan to make it, when I get around to it, but it works for now.

If I saw someone running around a jobsite with a fanny-pack first-aid kit, I'd prolly run him off. If you need the equipment within five seconds of your injury, you're probably not gonna make it, anyway.

#29 ·
If you're doing any construction work in an environment that requires you to be away from your truck (like, say, crawlspaces, ladders, etc.) then I can't stress enough the need to have a first aid kit with you at all times. You just can't be safe enough. And I know for a fact that suppliers like firstaidsurvival.com have pouches you can use to keep the essentials (gauze, cold pack, yada yada) on you at all times. Safety first - you want to be able to work another day ;)

#36 ·
If you're doing any construction work in an environment that requires you to be away from your truck (like, say, crawlspaces, ladders, etc.) then I can't stress enough the need to have a first aid kit with you at all times. You just can't be safe enough. And I know for a fact that suppliers like firstaidsurvival.com have pouches you can use to keep the essentials (gauze, cold pack, yada yada) on you at all times. Safety first - you want to be able to work another day ;)
I can't say as I entirely agree with that statetment. It's unsafe to get out of bed in the morning, yet everybody does it anyway. It's a matter of living with a level of risk you comfortable with. There is such a thing as being too safe and that's when it interferes with living your life.

#31 ·
I was a EMY for 15 years in my town. Retired to just construction.

I have a pretty extensive 1st aid kit in our work trailer. all the basic stuff, plus some goodies for the, what if something really bad happens.

Behind the seat of my truck is a extremely well stocked 1st responder bag. Some things in there can't be carried by a Licensed EMT, But
since I'm retired from it. I can't get in trouble for carrying it.

#34 ·
KarlGrath said:
Wow, that company just started last month! How did you get on to them so fast? Do you work for them maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.