Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,482 Posts
Oh, and wear the damn nitrile gloves when phuking around with thunder boxes. And wash up when you're done, whether you cut youself, or not. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Really? Well, okay...since you asked.

Assorted sterile bandages of every size and shape.
Gauze
Assorted bottles of bee sting, sunburn, type ointments
Benadryl, aspirin, etc
Tape...all kinds of tape...medical, duct, electrical, assorted color duct tape (the small, narrow rolls)
Pins, needles, safety pins
10 oz bottle of iodine...bottle of 90% isopropyl, bottle of witch hazel
2 10 oz bottles of bottled drinking water
Assortment of wooden splints (just mostly sanded narrow strips of wood...works as kindling also)
An army surgical field kit with anything you need to work on a wound or sew stitches
Roll of mono-filament, hooks, bobbers, rubber worms, etc
Assorted fire starting material...water-proof matches, a couple of bics, tinder material
Candles
I have a emergency tooth repair kit in case you lose a filling or have a crown come off
Snake bite kit
Eye wash cup and eye patch
"Quick Clot"-2 packages for serious arterial wounds
Large bottle of antacids
Bag of hard candy
Assorted flashlights
Fold-able bow-type saw
Assorted knives and razor blades
Smelling salts

There's probably 20 more things I can't think of.

In another canvas bag is a plastic garbage bag with a pair of old shoes, clean jeans, tee-shirt, sweatshirt, socks, belt, knit cap and gloves.

I built a rack that rides on the top of the pick-up bed at the front. I have a fiberglass top. On that rack, along with the above is a wooden box with flairs, oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, washer fluid, antifreeze, straps, assorted ropes, chains, jacks, rags etc, etc.

The quintessential Boy Scout...Be Prepared.
Yeowww!

I used to be in EMS and you've got more than I ever carried for first responding!

I wasn't expecting it to be that extensive.

The way things are headed, you may become the local emergency treatment center for your area! :laughing:

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,393 Posts
With obummer care we'll need that stuff more than ever! :laughing:
I do some camping in remote areas. I'm on the east coast (hurricanes). I work with sharp objects spinning fast everyday.

Ya just never know. I'd rather have it any never need it than not have it and need it.
It's come in handy a few times.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Seven-Delta-FortyOne said:
Oh, and wear the damn nitrile gloves when phuking around with thunder boxes. And wash up when you're done, whether you cut youself, or not. :thumbsup:
Thunder box?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're doing any construction work in an environment that requires you to be away from your truck (like, say, crawlspaces, ladders, etc.) then I can't stress enough the need to have a first aid kit with you at all times. You just can't be safe enough. And I know for a fact that suppliers like firstaidsurvival.com have pouches you can use to keep the essentials (gauze, cold pack, yada yada) on you at all times. Safety first - you want to be able to work another day ;)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
i have a full first aid kit on the inside of the l/h rear door on the van, it has come in usefull many times.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I was a EMY for 15 years in my town. Retired to just construction.

I have a pretty extensive 1st aid kit in our work trailer. all the basic stuff, plus some goodies for the, what if something really bad happens.

Behind the seat of my truck is a extremely well stocked 1st responder bag. Some things in there can't be carried by a Licensed EMT, But
since I'm retired from it. I can't get in trouble for carrying it.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
Curious as to what you're not allowed to carry?
as an EMT, couldn't carry

EPI pen unless locked in drug box
endotracheal kit for intubation , trained , but not allowed in mass as EMT

sutures, stapler, and scalpels , IV fluids

and a couple I'm keeping secret,

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
KarlGrath said:
If you're doing any construction work in an environment that requires you to be away from your truck (like, say, crawlspaces, ladders, etc.) then I can't stress enough the need to have a first aid kit with you at all times. You just can't be safe enough. And I know for a fact that suppliers like firstaidsurvival.com have pouches you can use to keep the essentials (gauze, cold pack, yada yada) on you at all times. Safety first - you want to be able to work another day ;)
Wow, that company just started last month! How did you get on to them so fast? Do you work for them maybe?

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I can't say as I entirely agree with that statetment. It's unsafe to get out of bed in the morning, yet everybody does it anyway. It's a matter of living with a level of risk you comfortable with. There is such a thing as being too safe and that's when it interferes with living your life.

·
Registered
996 Posts
and a couple I'm keeping secret,[/QUOTE]

What ever you have, that you think is so special forces secret is something to help, or save someone. Wouldn't you want to pass on this information.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,393 Posts
What ever you have, that you think is so special forces secret is something to help, or save someone. Wouldn't you want to pass on this information.

Maybe it is "special forces" type stuff that is illegal to own as a civilian.

More power to you. If it saves a life and is in your kit...lucky person on the receiving end.

Oxycontin is illegal to posses without a prescription.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ok seal team 6, I have some Percacet and vikadine (spelling) too. From a neck surgery.
Its not exactly classified info. Just thought if you had some piece of kit that was cool would be nice to share

21 - 40 of 50 Posts