Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The bottom line for me is money. In my world, if we're not nailing up (installing) materials, I'm not making money. Loading, unloading, planning what I need for a job, forgetting something I need for a job, are all things that don't make money.
The less time I spend doing those things, the more time I'm working.
This is the reason I utilize a trailer.
Let us know what you decided. I'm always curious about other people's reasoning.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
My trailer goes with me each day and comes home with me each night. It holds the equipment that I make my livelihood with. I'm not willing to leave it on a job out of my sight.
To me, that is the number one con about a trailer. If it gets stolen or broken into with my 30k worth of tools inside I'm screwed.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Same here. a contractor would be stupid not to have their tools insured. I got replacement cost on mine too just in case.
And I do also, but really, do you want to have to go thru the hassle of making out claim forms and having to go purchase everything again?

Yes, I know the thought of tool shopping for a lot of us on here is as good (or better) than the thought of [email protected], but you talk about a loss of money making time.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
How do people feel about re-purposing an old/used ambulance?
We were talking about it the other day after work. For us I think it makes more sense than a box truck/van.
We want a truck to be basically a mobile tool box. Ambulances are well maintained and for the most part, retire from service around the 100k mark. They are built much stronger than a box truck plus they generally have heavy duty alternators and heavy duty rear ends, as well as inventor's pre-installed. They also have a lot of prebuilt compartments/storage space.
It would also make a great mobile advertising space for a disaster management type usage.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Erie insurance
Same here for me too. Rates are decent too.

I use them for all my insurances. Had a claim several years ago at the same time lots of others did in our area (storm related). While all my neighbors were waiting weeks for their claims to be processed, I submitted my paperwork on a Monday am. Had my check from the company in my mailbox the next afternoon. Don't know how anyone could complain about that!

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
svronthmve said:
Same here for me too. Rates are decent too.

I use them for all my insurances. Had a claim several years ago at the same time lots of others did in our area (storm related). While all my neighbors were waiting weeks for their claims to be processed, I submitted my paperwork on a Monday am. Had my check from the company in my mailbox the next afternoon. Don't know how anyone could complain about that!
Yeah I moved my vehicles and home to them as well. Very good rates and great coverage. They gave some great add on to a standard policy that gives you a $12k tool insurance and loads of extras for a very small amount of money if you have liability insurance through them. Its good to hear they paid out quick. The 2 claims I had with Allstate were awfully slow. They expected me to run around and do all the leg work after the issues we had. Won't use them again. They def didnt want to hand over any money.

·
General Contractor
97 Posts
For me a trailer is the only way to go and I am not sure how I did without it, but it would depend on what you do for a living and whether or not you have employees.

I used to take my tools out every night and put back in what I needed. Now I just have way too many tools for this to even work.

The other issue I had is no place to put trash or const debri. With a trailer you now have a full size bed for all the trash.

If you ave employees and need to leave the job to pickup materials, measure another job, etc, you can leave your tools on the job.

Yes, pulling the trailer is a PIA sometimes and you risk having your tools stolen, but like others said, that is what insurance is for. The benefits far out way the risk for me. Not sure how I did without it for so long.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Yeah I moved my vehicles and home to them as well. Very good rates and great coverage. They gave some great add on to a standard policy that gives you a $12k tool insurance and loads of extras for a very small amount of money if you have liability insurance through them. Its good to hear they paid out quick. The 2 claims I had with Allstate were awfully slow. They expected me to run around and do all the leg work after the issues we had. Won't use them again. They def didnt want to hand over any money.
i saw your festi collection and think you need a lil more then 12k tool coverage. ;)
i used to be w/erie but out grew them.

if get's stolen you can have few days off to go shopping....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
CITY DECKS INC said:
i saw your festi collection and think you need a lil more then 12k tool coverage. ;)
i used to be w/erie but out grew them.

if get's stolen you can have few days off to go shopping....:thumbsup:
I have the tools insured for $48k with the trailer through them. I couldn't find one other company willing to insure at replacement cost even without locks on the trailer. the restrictions on all the other policy's were crazy.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
WarnerConstInc. said:
Every 6 months I take stock of what I have and add more if needed. Just costs a little bit more money.
I don't bother adding the extra bits I buy till the end of the year. I have to add about another $3-4k so prob looking at about $80-$100 more a year. Might go and see them and see whats involved with adding more half way through the policy. Can't be that hard I wouldn't have thought.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts