Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Theological Carpenter
78 Posts
Doctor,

I don't know if this is an economically feasible suggestion, but we also do remodeling and use Sprinters. They're basically a truck and trailer smashed together. The big one we have can carry 18' molding, and once you get those suckers organized inside you would be amazed at how much they hold.

If you go to many multiple jobsites, (we usually have a 2-3 week project we are working but also tackle 4-5 one day projects in that span) you'll appreciate not having to hook up a trailer. Plus, they're really easy to drive and park.

Not to be the guy who says, "Buy a Mac" when someone asks a PC question, but that's my two cents.

Reactions: Doctor

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I really like my utility box bed. Planted on a one ton truck and is 9' long. I carry a lot of tools. Very rare to have any space left anywhere. Lots of rack space for long lumber, ladders, etc. My compressor and generator are steel cabled to the bed in the back.

I don't pull this trailer around all the time, it's the only pic I have access to at the moment.

ForumRunner_20131116_072429.jpg

I am still wanting a small trailer 6 x 12 maybe to tote around the bigger stuff, miter saw, table saw, etc.

Sounds like a walk in utility bed would be great for you. Or a box truck. I would love to have a walk in utility bed but there is not enough room where I would need to park it.

Whatever you get don't forget to post pictures! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Doctor

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't go anywhere without my trailer. I was able to unload everything from my garage and shed into it (7x16 tandem axle) so when I get to a job, I have everything with me. Not to mention freeing up space for storage at home now.....No forgetting tools, and on more than several occasions.....the customer throws in a "can you do something about....." And I have what I need to fix it for an upsale!!!! I lose a bit of fuel mileage, but find it eases my mind not laying in bed at night thinking about what tools I need to load for a job.....

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
I don't go anywhere without my trailer. I was able to unload everything from my garage and shed into it (7x16 tandem axle) so when I get to a job, I have everything with me. Not to mention freeing up space for storage at home now.....No forgetting tools, and on more than several occasions.....the customer throws in a "can you do something about....." And I have what I need to fix it for an upsale!!!! I lose a bit of fuel mileage, but find it eases my mind not laying in bed at night thinking about what tools I need to load for a job.....
This exactly for me. I used to have a notebook that I would sit down at night and figure out what I might need the next day. Load it, it would rain, everything except for the bags and boxes of stuff stashed in the cab would get soaked. Then I wouldn't have what I needed anyway.

Get home, unload and do it all again the next day. When I first got the trailer I thought something was wrong because things had gotten so much more efficient. Get in truck drive away. Come home, lock truck and walk into house. Sweet! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I appreciate your feedback.
When we do a driveway, I leave the trailer overnight, parked in front of the driveway. Put caution tape around everything, due to a city ordinance requiring a trailer to be attached to a vehcile. Nobody can accidentally drive on the driveway and everthing is ready to go the next day. We strip forms, load up and go to the next one.
Truthfully, I get tired of dragging a trailer, but I never get tired of having everyting on site.
I won't go back to not having a trailer. There are some sites I cant' park a trailer.
Our current job, the trailer won't fit. This is when I realize I am spoiled with the trailer.
Starting over, I would have gotten a trailer first thing and never looked back. Of course I haven't had any trouble with thieves. If that were the case, I might reconsider.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Uncle chicken,
I have thought of using a large van like the sprinter, Ford Trader or Ducato as they are as large as the trailer I was looking at. The thing that stopped was the reiliability issues with the european cars. I have an Iveco Daily dual cab truck and when it is working it is fantastic but they seem to get little issuses all the time that take forever to find the problem. The iveco has had a gearbox problem for 5 years that the iveco service people couldn't find and were telling me there was no problem every time I would take it there (the computer couldn't find the fault). Finally I took it to Izuzu trucks service dept and they found the problem in 1 day, a broken bolt in the actuator. Now it has a fuel blockage in one of the injectors (deisel motor) that shuts the motor down if you accelerate it to hard. Have you had any issues with the Sprinters? One of my sub contractors has one and the computer broke in it and was going to cost $10k to replace it.
Thanks a lot for the feed back mate.
Cheers

·
Pro
76 Posts
im gonna invest in a trailer sooner or later..i do alot of tile work..so being able to store material and tools in there is save me alot of time loading and unloading..right now i have a dodge 1500 hemi with a 6ft bed..i gotta load and unload my tools for every job..it gets to be time consuming

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I could not imagine not working out of a trailer but then again, I have a crew of guys and multiple ladders I need on jobs.

With that said, on small repairs I just load up what I need in the truck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We're about to order a custom trailer next week, but thats gonna be primarily for storing and transporting all our scaffolding. We currently only have about 1/3rd of the scaffolding we need to complete most of our work because of storage limitations.
We're getting a 7x14 built with a few custom tweaks that will easily store 4 or 5 times the amount of scaffolding we have, giving room for expansion.
We're still sticking with the idea of an old box truck for tool storage though. Thankfully I'm moving to a new house like 10 minutes from the office so getting a ride home after securing the job truck at site wouldnt be difficult or inconvenient. Its amazing how well beer can motivate my guys to give me a ride home lol.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Before we change our business our projects lasted from 2-8months.
I had a small 6x10 and a chevy box van dually as hubs separate jobs along with a small 6x10 dump trailer that moved from job to job.
Got out reno work and strictly outdoor job which last a week to about a month. Sold off all but the 6x10 dump trailer. Now we have 2-fully loaded sprinter that can handle everything from framing, to crown molding and . They are maxed out of space.
Just rethought the way we do business and wanted to streamline it further. We now have dedicated tool packages that stay on the in there packages and move from job to van. Stay on the job until the phase is complete.
Framing Package, cordless package, interior work and on so on. Sometime we bounce from job to job because of special order items or weather delays or subs etc so we alway keep the basics loaded in the truck and not worry about needing something if go to another job.

I think a trailer sounds good for you but really think about the questions posted from BC also make up a list of everything you measure it, and sketch out how your are going to access and store in trailer or truck which ever you may buy.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
One of my subs got his trailer stuck at a job the other day. Tore up the rear yard at a pole barn we are building. Barn is about 200 feet back and no room to turn things around hardly. I have seen this happen to other guys as well. I have made it 30 years without having one. I would have bought one by now if I thought it was necessary. I have the one ton long van and my other carpenters have full size trucks. Planning is essential, but equipment is not the only part of a job that requires planning.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
There is nothing worse than not having the tools you need on a job. If you're a specific trade sub you could probably get by with a utility truck/van but for us guys who do everything that is remodeling a trailer with all the fixings is essential. Your work quality will go up having the right tool for the job rather than making due without.

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
There is nothing worse than not having the tools you need on a job. If you're a specific trade sub you could probably get by with a utility truck/van but for us guys who do everything that is remodeling a trailer with all the fixings is essential. Your work quality will go up having the right tool for the job rather than making due without.
Not entirely true at all, if it were everybody who does general remodeling would have a trailer. Which they don't, here 10 % do. I had box truck for 15 years or so, until I realized how much money I wasted carrying around items I did not regularly use. I just had them because I could carry them.

If you wrote down every tool that you used in the last week, then month, then 2 months you will see what I mean.

The longer you do this type of work the more efficient you should become, and that doesn't mean carrying around every tool known to man.

There are many supply houses/lumber yards around here where a truck & trailer would not even be able to get into.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
rrk said:
Not entirely true at all, if it were everybody who does general remodeling would have a trailer. Which they don't, here 10 % do. I had box truck for 15 years or so, until I realized how much money I wasted carrying around items I did not regularly use. I just had them because I could carry them.

If you wrote down every tool that you used in the last week, then month, then 2 months you will see what I mean.

The longer you do this type of work the more efficient you should become, and that doesn't mean carrying around every tool known to man.

There are many supply houses/lumber yards around here where a truck & trailer would not even be able to get into.
How do you know what tools you will need until you need them. I'm vastly more efficient with a loaded up trailer than without. Its impossible to know what your gonna need when when doing so many trades. But lets say you make kits for each trade and only take the kits you need. The issue you then have is when you do need a tool that's not in that kit your stuck and you also have to load and unload them kits each time you do another trade. Last week I needed painting tools, drywall tools, wood working tools, plumbing tools, electrical tools and much much more in so specific order either.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I'm about 50% more efficient with the trailer. And the point of the trailer is to bring it and leave it at the job until it's done. No dragging anything back and forth.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Most tools are in my trailer except for the bigger ones (sewer rooter, tile saw & stand, etc.) and those I use infrequently. I also carry most frequently used supplies & consumables. I figure the time I save running to the supplier multiple times a day more than makes up for the cost of pulling it with me. Plus it makes me more efficient.

I used to work out of a van & loaded what I thought I needed each day. I often forgot too many things.

My trailer goes with me each day and comes home with me each night. It holds the equipment that I make my livelihood with. I'm not willing to leave it on a job out of my sight.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts