Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good sites for tool reviews? The ones I've found don't seem to have enough opinions to be of much use. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Treker, I wish that I knew of such a site. When it come to big tools (planers, table saws, bandsaws) I like the old ones with cast iron bases and tables, big copper wound motors, lots of weight.
Portable tools I'm a lot more flexible with. Woodworker mag. rated Ridgid table saws as the best portables so I bought a couple and put them in the field. Consumer Reports rated Panasonic 15.6V drill/driver as the best, I bought 5 and kept one for my personal use although I have always been partial to Makita (the old Makita 12V went into the shop for an overhaul) and I can't stand bulbous battery packs on the end of the handle. I bought a Bosch sabre saw in an act of desperation and was so impressed that I bought 3 more. I'm still looking for one with a scrolling head, does anyone make these anymore?
Break it down and go tried and true with big ticket items and make your best judgement call on the smaller ones. Remember too that most of the major tool manufactureres also own the companies that write many of the mags. Biased? Most likely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts