Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone has some experience they can share on refinishing the cast iron tops of some shop equipment. I have a 8" long bed planner & a 3hp shaper, both made by Grizzly. I bought these new a few years ago & never got to set them up, other than to test them & unfortuneatly I had to store them in an out building without any climate control. I thought I had protected the tops with a metal protectant but it didn't work to well & they rusted up! Hopefully the tops can be polished up, maybe sand first than metal polish? Has anyone had any luck doing something like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
To bad. They can be cleaned up. First clean off the protectant goo that you applied with some mineral spirits. Next try sanding with 80 grit or 100 in a random orbit sander.

If that is not aggressive enough--move up to an angle grinder with 80 or 60 grit.

Protect with paste wax when you are done.

The WORKS TOILET BOWL CLEANER is great for removing the worst rust-You want the cheaper watery kind NOT the new and improved thick stuff.(hydrocloric acid)

If all else fails Grizzly's machine shop has a top milling service,(I really like the service I've gotten from them)---MIKE--

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I had pretty good luck with a Scotch Brite pad, some WD40 and a random orbit sander. I just sprayed the top of my table saw down with the WD40, and set the RO on the Scotch Brite pad to scour the top. After you are done, clean off the WD40 and put on a few coats of Boeshield, buffing with a soft cloth between coats. Slick as snot! :thumbsup: Make sure you clean off all the WD40, though, as it can contaminate your finish. I haven't had any problems, though.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice, it is very much appreciated ! I know they are imports, but I still paid money for them & they are basically brand new otherwise. Looks like it will be trail & labor to get them back to spec.

·
All ahead flank
64 Posts
Agree with Rustbucket. Have tried several metal protectants and swear by Boeshield T-9! Prevents rust on exposed parts even in humid climates, and in addition to the protection provides the proper degree of lubrication for cast iron table saw and router tables and fences, and also on job site tools with aluminum components. A little bit goes a long way too. It's a great product!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I coated my old cast iron Craftman contractor saw a couple of years ago with Boeshield T-9. It's been sitting under a tarp in the carport since. Still no rust. Mississippi isn't kind to cast iron.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Steel wool and naval jelly. I think naval jelly is a mild acid, that dissolves the rust. It's a pink goo, Brush it on and wait 5 min or so, then use #0 or #00 steel wool.

If you want to make love to your equipment, follow with #000 steel wool :w00t:

I coat the metal tops with butcher's wax, to keep the rust off, and it makes wood glide through the blades.

I use the #000 steel wool with mineral spirits, and follow with butchers wax, for my hand planes, and other pampered tools.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info! I tried a few different things & it seems that a wire cup brush in an angle grinder is working real nice. They weren't as rusty as I thought, I had coated them with a metal preservative before I stored them & it seems like that is what is coming off. After wire wheeling I am using some chrome polish & automotive compound & they are starting to look pretty good.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Here is the Uber resource for all things "Arn" http://www.owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=7ea05d5a1f56c888f2a1a48effba741c

Old Wood Working Machines . org these boys know their tools

Craig

search the posts and then ask politely for help they don't care much for imports but if you ask real nice they will get you right up to speed
I have seen that before from someone here, maybe it was you. I lost the site address, but now you've made it so I can waste much of my time once again!

They really do know how to restore old tools well don't they?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts