Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you use to rip part of a fiberglass shower flange off. I want to do it fast but don't want to bust it.

I figured a circular saw would work as long as I would take it slow and make sure I was at full speed before contacting the workpiece.

I screwed up and grabbed a 32" tub with surround instead of a 30" and now I'm improvising.... :censored: :no:

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Any of the above would work. I wonder if fiber cement shears would do the trick? No dust that way. Either way, you've probably spent more time thinking about it than it's going to take to cut it with and of those tools. I do the same thing....

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
I'd probably try an oscillating multi tool first. Might be a bit slower, but probably do the job fairly quickly and with a little more control and less chance of grabbing and breaking off a chunk. Plus less airborne dust.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I've used both a jigsaw and a grinder with a diamond wheel to cut fiberglass. With both though I held the shopvac hose right at cut as I was cutting to catch the dust.

Dave

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Either way, you've probably spent more time thinking about it than it's going to take to cut it with and of those tools. I do the same thing....
Probably, but I really don't want to screw it up and I just love coming on here and picking everyone's brain finding better ways to fix mistakes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
if you hot glue a strip of masonite on the back and cut thru it and the surround with a skilsaw, it's less likely to break off a piece.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,093 Posts
Roughly 0% chance of cracking with a drywall route if you don't push hard. It's slow, the bits will gum up. but you don't have to support it. If you use an improvised guide, you can get a really straight cut. Otherwise, high RPMs, fine teeth, and a reversed blade are your friends - circ saw or angle grinder with reversed metal blade or ply blade.

Frankly, I tend to break thin plastic stuff of any kind if what I'm using has teeth.

·
Punching above his weight
12,101 Posts
At this rate we'd be better off meeting at a central location and helping him cast a new tub.

Grab that angle grinder and cut the thing already. Sheesh.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
So you're removing the entire back wall flange??

Need some pics of this...:whistling

1 - 20 of 30 Posts