Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses tool lanyards and how do you like them? I already have a tool belt, and have pouches for my screws and small parts, and all my hand tools, but I find a lot of times I am up a ladder with a power tool and have to go down set it down then go back up.

I usually don't have my harness on when on a ladder, and when I have it on Im on a sky jack so I can just put the power tool down, so no D rings to tie the tool lanyard off to.

Are they a smart idea or a waste of money?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I only use them underwater. short loop to be clipped into when not in use, or clip attached to the tool. Wrist loop on saws or hammers.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Oh yeah, necessity when working on an extension ladder.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Thats what I am figuring for the 90$ it will cost me for 6 tool lanyards I figure I will make it up not having to go up and down the extension ladder to get power tools.
90? Just tie a piece of paracord on the handle of your impact driver.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I keep it short, about an 8" loop and put it around my wrist, then when I'm switching the tools I clip it to a carabiner on my belt. I've tried belt clips but it's too easy to knock your drill off your belt when walking up/down the ladder.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep it short, about an 8" loop and put it around my wrist, then when I'm switching the tools I clip it to a carabiner on my belt. I've tried belt clips but it's too easy to knock your drill off your belt when walking up/down the ladder.
Great idea, great way to allow me to quickly switch between my drill, and hammer drill.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I wear my bags around my ass and never knock my drill or impact off my right hand pouch, I have a bolt bag at my centre rear so stuff can go in there and I sometimes carry a drywall bucket with a giant caribeneer to attach to a rung.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,111 Posts
Pretty much everything I take for working from a ladder has a thin rope lanyard. Heavy / bulky stuff clips off to the ladder or uses a wire hook type hanger on the rung (I bend these out of heavy wire). A bucket or two for holding everything else.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I use one of these not the same brand or make but similar in design and it will swivel and move with you. I keep it on my right butt check(i am a righty) the the impact/drill driver rests their. Out of the way of both my hip pouches.

I have never had the drill come off the hook. in the 4 years I have used it has been the best investment for my drills.

http://www.amazon.com/Bigg-Lugg-Pow...TF8&qid=1386827792&sr=8-3&keywords=drill+hook

1 - 13 of 13 Posts