Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
griz said:
What do you use that for....breaking up sand castles....:whistling:laughing:
You can keep that thing. Actually I've never used that Bosch but my guys use it mostly for digging pier footings. It's great for that.

·
GC/carpenter
43,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
Have you thought about using a sledgehammer? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
That's what I've been using. I ordered a bit for my roto hammer I'll see how that works.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Sure seems like you have been over thinking this....:whistling

If the DG is that dense, drill a 3/8 or 7/16 hole with your Roto-Hammer to about 3/4 of the depth. Use a single jack to drive it......

You do have a laborer doing this....right?....:whistling

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
That's what I've been using. I ordered a bit for my roto hammer I'll see how that works.
I was joking. I drove some 8' ground rods a few years ago with my TE-6C (sds plus), but I've looked around in the shop and I can't find the bit I used. I've also used my 18V Milwaukee cordless to drive long ground rods. Had to keep batteries charging, but it worked great. Prior generation of bigger, clumsier cordless, perfect for that job.

I'll be curious what you get and how it works.

Edit: Neither case was into hard earth like you have, but either one would have handled 18" rebar rods.

- Bob

·
GC/carpenter
43,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
griz said:
Sure seems like you have been over thinking this....:whistling If the DG is that dense, drill a 3/8 or 7/16 hole with your Roto-Hammer to about 3/4 of the depth. Use a single jack to drive it...... You do have a laborer doing this....right?....:whistling
Yes I do, I just wanted to pick up the production a litlle.

·
GC/carpenter
43,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
griz said:
Sure seems like you have been over thinking this....:whistling If the DG is that dense, drill a 3/8 or 7/16 hole with your Roto-Hammer to about 3/4 of the depth. Use a single jack to drive it...... You do have a laborer doing this....right?....:whistling
I have two laborers out there. I found a bit online it's on its way. I think it will help speed things up and make it easier for them. That's all.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,465 Posts
I can't speak for driving rebar but for driving grounding rods you want something big...I'd look into a spline or hex, I didn't think they even made them for max. Seeing as you have many to drive and they don't have to go deep an sds max would probably be perfect.

Besides I couldn't imagine not having a drill of that size, anything over 3/4" is a little much for an SDS plus.
I don't understand what you're saying.

SDS Plus and Max are spline-drive, right???

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I don't understand what you're saying.

SDS Plus and Max are spline-drive, right???
No spline is a little bigger than max. In terms of demo hammers think of it like this:

Plus - head
Max - chest
Spline - waist
Hex - feet

Hex comes in 3/4, 7/8 and 1-1/8 but I think the smaller sizes have fallen out of fashion to the roto hammer connection styles.

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
what do the guys in areas like Austin, Tx, where the bedrock is right under the soil do for grounding rods-is there enough soil to install to full depth?

81 - 100 of 105 Posts