Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I've used the old conduit and rebar trick to do exactly what this guy is doing.

Now to test your knowledge. What is this guy nailing to the forms in this video?
A tear-away grommet maybe.... kinda hard to see....basically NFI ????

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,474 Posts
Missed this when you first posted, so I guess you already got something figured out, but I've used the bit for a roto-hammer for years. Fast and easy. Electrical supply houses almost always have them in stock. :thumbsup:

·
GC/carpenter
43,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Seven-Delta-FortyOne said:
Missed this when you first posted, so I guess you already got something figured out, but I've used the bit for a roto-hammer for years. Fast and easy. Electrical supply houses almost always have them in stock. :thumbsup:
I actually went to my supply house today and they only had one for a SDS Max. My roto hammer is a SDS plus. So my question is did you use a max or plus to drive yours?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I actually went to my supply house today and they only had one for a SDS Max. My roto hammer is a SDS plus. So my question is did you use a max or plus to drive yours?
You could eat that rebar and sh!t it into the ground faster than an SDS plus could drive it. :laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
43,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Inner10 said:
You could eat that rebar and sh!t it into the ground faster than an SDS plus could drive it. :laughing:
If you had 34000 to put in the ground over the next two or three years would you buy the Max? Or just slam them all in with a sledge? The ground is compacted DG with 3/4 aggregate, it's pretty damn hard.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
If you had 34000 to put in the ground over the next two or three years would you buy the Max? Or just slam them all in with a sledge? The ground is compacted DG with 3/4 aggregate, it's pretty damn hard.
Yeah, that's pretty much concrete. The bottle of water trick may not work there.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I can't speak for driving rebar but for driving grounding rods you want something big...I'd look into a spline or hex, I didn't think they even made them for max. Seeing as you have many to drive and they don't have to go deep an sds max would probably be perfect.

Besides I couldn't imagine not having a drill of that size, anything over 3/4" is a little much for an SDS plus.

·
GC/carpenter
43,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Inner10 said:
I can't speak for driving rebar but for driving grounding rods you want something big...I'd look into a spline or hex, I didn't think they even made them for max. Seeing as you have many to drive and they don't have to go deep an sds max would probably be perfect. Besides I couldn't imagine not having a drill of that size, anything over 3/4" is a little much for an SDS plus.
I never drill anything over 3/4 and that's rare, it's usually 5/8 that I drill for the occasional redhead.

·
GC/carpenter
43,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
donerightwyo said:
You can't get a bit made for that?
I'm sure I could but that's a little excessive for 18" rebar dowels. It would be easier to slam them in by hand. I think an SDS Max will probably get it done. I think I will try the SDS plus before I spend 500.00 on a Max.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts