Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Californiadecks said:
Also they're to be 16" in the ground
It says 12" on the plans but I got some grief from my inspector last time, I know she's wrong but I'm going to go deeper as to please her. :laughing:

Here's the detail on my plans

image-333787110.jpg

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It says 12" on the plans but I got some grief from my inspector last time, I know she's wrong but I'm going to go deeper as to please her. :laughing:

Here's the detail on my plans
16"...how about pushing them in by hand...if they are stiff about 3 taps with a set of pliers should do the trick.

·
GC/carpenter
43,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Inner10 said:
16"...how about pushing them in by hand...if they are stiff about 3 taps with a set of pliers should do the trick.
No way is that going to happen the ground is very hard. It's very well compacted. I do a ton of these and was looking for a way to do them without working so hard.

·
GC/carpenter
43,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've always used a sledge before. I'm trying to do it faster with less work.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here is one that most people don't know about. It works as long as you don't hit any rock.

Get a bottle of water. Take your ground rod and jab it into the ground a few inches. Pour a little water in the hole. Insert rod and start working it up and down. The water will lube it up and it will start going down. You can do it with one hand. When it starts getting tight, pull out and add water, go again. Repeat and driven.

You can do it with less than 16 oz of water in the right clay type soil. I've done it a bunch of times with smooth ground rounds, never tried rebar, the ribs might make it a little tougher, but I bet it still works.

I've won bets on this one several times. :thumbup:
this is the best way I have ever done it. It makes you wonder why you ever worked so hard trying to smash them into the clay with a post driver

·
GC/carpenter
43,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think they make one for a jackhammer, but the ones in looking at are made for a SDS roto hammer. I think for as shallow as I'm needing to drive them it may work perfect.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I think they make one for a jackhammer, but the ones in looking at are made for a SDS roto hammer. I think for as shallow as I'm needing to drive them it may work perfect.
You can get them in sds max, spline or hex. If you are using a rotohammer turn it to hammer only.

·
GC/carpenter
43,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
tjbnwi said:
How about a slide hammer demo hammer? No bit and you're good to go. I have another brand (don't see it online), it hits very hard. http://slidehammers.com/Testimonials.html Tom
I could probably make something like that. I need something, I have 489 mobile home units with 70 bars each to drive in the future. That's probably over the next three years or so, but there's a total of 34,000 to drive.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
It is very hard ground
Cali..Mike....

Bubbi.... just to give you some crap, that earth must change dramatically 5 miles up the road from San Clemente to Dana Point.

I was worried about about driving a 8 ground rod at my daughters... did'nt even try till the weekend when her husband was off to assist....

that pup slipped in like an old who.., never mind, very easily.

(I was used to decomposed granite and rock in CO.... I will say it was wet clay at thetime).

Best

Peter

21 - 40 of 105 Posts