Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tool is used to hammer a grounding rod in the ground. Or is there a bit for a roto-hammer that works. I have 140 1/2" rebar dowels I have to put in the ground and I don't want to work that damn hard doing it with a sledge hammer. Anybody?

·
GC/carpenter
40,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I need to find out who would stock such an animal, I need it for Monday

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Check with a rental yard to see if they have the driver for your roto hammer.

If the rebar fits in your roto hammer it will drive the rebar. It is not recommended to drive the bar directly because of the steel composition. It can mushroom and hang in the machine.

Tom

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Although that ground rod driver looks nice, I just have a metal post driver that I use. Depending on the lay of the land, I often have them sunk in 4-5 hits.

But I have to admit, that driver's got me thinking! TBA, here I come...

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Driving Ground Rod with a Bottle of Water

Here is one that most people don't know about. It works as long as you don't hit any rock.

Get a bottle of water. Take your ground rod and jab it into the ground a few inches. Pour a little water in the hole. Insert rod and start working it up and down. The water will lube it up and it will start going down. You can do it with one hand. When it starts getting tight, pull out and add water, go again. Repeat and driven.

You can do it with less than 16 oz of water in the right clay type soil. I've done it a bunch of times with smooth ground rounds, never tried rebar, the ribs might make it a little tougher, but I bet it still works.

I've won bets on this one several times. :thumbup:

·
GC/carpenter
40,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was think I could just drill the ground first with my roto hammer and then just stab them in. There's 140 at 18". They're for pier jack pads. Each pad gets four bars. I Don't know how sanitary that would be if the inspector yanked on one and it came up too easy. :laughing:

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I've gone 8 foot using this method. Once the ground around the rod dries out again, you can't pull em out. Try it.

·
GC/carpenter
40,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mudpad said:
I've gone 8 foot using this method. Once the ground around the rod dries out again, you can't pull em out. Try it.
I will give that a shot. Ill be doing this first thing Monday.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What size is the rebar because it may not fit in a ground rod driver...unless you use a cup driver and a step ladder...which sucks.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I piked the image from 480, I don't actually own one of those little beauty's.:whistling

·
GC/carpenter
40,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Inner10 said:
What size is the rebar because it may not fit in a ground rod driver...unless you use a cup driver and a step ladder...which sucks.
There only #4 bar there's 140 and there 18" long

·
GC/carpenter
40,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ewils91 said:
My Home Depot rents both kinds. Do you have a tool rental in your area?
Yes, I will check, thanks, but will also buy one for future jobs

·
Registered
21 Posts
I welded on an 3/4" impact socket to a broken SDS tip and use my Bosch SDS rotor hammer on hammer mode. Works great even in our hard granite soil conditions.

·
GC/carpenter
40,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lambcraft said:
I welded on an 3/4" impact socket to a broken SDS tip and use my Bosch SDS rotor hammer on hammer mode. Works great even in our hard granite soil conditions.
I was thinking about that

1 - 20 of 105 Posts