Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First The Dewalt tough Boxes. Very good boxes.A little heavy but bullit proof. I Like the new drawers. But skip the hand truck if you want it for mobile use.It is good around the shop. Dewalt Tstack. Very good. Nice system. Pretty well made. Wish they were a tad wider. Dollar for Dollar the clear winner. The Festool System very good But not worth the money. Of course this is only my opinion.I use the Bosch Folding Hand truck to move it all around and all of the boxes fit on the hand truck. The Tstack was the last system I bought. If I had to do it all over again I would go for the Tstack

Attachments

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Good points, I decided to start with the tstak (besides the systainers that my festool stuff came in) and I really like the tstaks. If you look around on the price you can get some great deals, I pay $25 for the big box over at http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/
Amazon is better for the cart and something else, I think it's the long handled box.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
A new design has been keeping awake at night. It is a small step-stool toolbox with a MFT-style worktop. It will have a splayed design for stability and the bottom of one will nest over the top of another so they stack and interlock a bit like solo cups. It will have removable tool trays and will both fit on my sawhorses as a miter saw table and others can be set on the horse as work supports or work tables. To top it off, if you remove the tool trays, and turn these upside-down, they will hold doors like a door vise (just as they fit over the horse rail when right side-up). Can you picture it?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points, I decided to start with the tstak (besides the systainers that my festool stuff came in) and I really like the tstaks. If you look around on the price you can get some great deals, I pay $25 for the big box over at http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/
Amazon is better for the cart and something else, I think it's the long handled box.
Dewalt factory outlet is where I bought most of the Tstack.Same here with the Festool the Trion and The track saw came with the boxes Bought the Sortainer packed with screws from Mcfeeleys about 2 years ago and a Sys.3 about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tony. I'm working on how to incorporate the Tstakk and Tough Boxes into my van setup. Overanalyze did a nice bracketing system that he shared on here.
I have the Standard van shelving The Tstack fits it perfect. Now all of the shelves are set up for the Tstak. Now the Tough boxes will not fit the shelves. So they are locked to each other and stacked alongside the shelving as needed

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I have the Standard van shelving The Tstack fits it perfect. Now all of the shelves are set up for the Tstak. Now the Tough boxes will not fit the shelves. So they are locked to each other and stacked alongside the shelving as needed
I have a utility van so it's a bit different sizing for me. I have so many boxes and shelves that I'd rather have things in individual cases that are easy to access. I keep a full size dolly in the back so I can just throw everything on there to bring it to the work area. My main goal is to have things grouped up so I don't have to make extra trips to the van or tell the helper to grab sandpaper, blades, or specific screws. Milk crates are my friend for some things, I don't need fancy, just stackable.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Is the Tstack quality same as the tough box, but smaller in size? I really like the tough box system but agree it is very heavy. Have not seen the Tstack other than online.

·
Always Learning
8,654 Posts
I have a utility van so it's a bit different sizing for me. I have so many boxes and shelves that I'd rather have things in individual cases that are easy to access. I keep a full size dolly in the back so I can just throw everything on there to bring it to the work area. My main goal is to have things grouped up so I don't have to make extra trips to the van or tell the helper to grab sandpaper, blades, or specific screws. Milk crates are my friend for some things, I don't need fancy, just stackable.
Exactly! That was why we dumped the standard shelf setup. We reduced the number of cases we carry by combining like tools and made it easier to access everything. After working out of it for a few weeks now I find we stay more organized because its easier and nicer to put things back.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the Tstack quality same as the tough box, but smaller in size? I really like the tough box system but agree it is very heavy. Have not seen the Tstack other than online.
It is not as heavy duty but the quality is there. The locks are metal ,Handles are strong and they clip together the same way as Tough Box.Like I said before they are smaller. But fit on my shelves Tough Box did not

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly! That was why we dumped the standard shelf setup. We reduced the number of cases we carry by combining like tools and made it easier to access everything. After working out of it for a few weeks now I find we stay more organized because its easier and nicer to put things back.
Yep, if it is not in a box it does not go in the truck. Well almost. But I am working on it.I am ordering a couple more Tstak just in case. They are cheap enough.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Isn't it insane what we put ourselves through to try and come up with a better way to be organized? The more containers I buy, the more they pile up and never get used. I'm close to getting rid of all the crap I've accumulated and start fresh. Buy per job??

Time for a yard sale. And donation to Habitat for Humanity after that.

Oh wait............I might need some of that stuff someday,maybe,possibly,you never know :blink::whistling

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
basswood said:
A new design has been keeping awake at night. It is a small step-stool toolbox with a MFT-style worktop. It will have a splayed design for stability and the bottom of one will nest over the top of another so they stack and interlock a bit like solo cups. It will have removable tool trays and will both fit on my sawhorses as a miter saw table and others can be set on the horse as work supports or work tables. To top it off, if you remove the tool trays, and turn these upside-down, they will hold doors like a door vise (just as they fit over the horse rail when right side-up). Can you picture it?
I have a similar design lurking. My pouches ride in a box with small hand tools. On top is a step stool with a hand hole. This will double as a clamp station, work holder like you said. I am on my second prototype. The first one was an all in one. It was great, held my tools, seat, steps tool, the only problem was when I had to move it around doing some crown.....too heavy. My back was killing me.

The next one I have gotten my tool tote prototype done. Then I will build the step stool that nests above it. But as these things go....it may take awhile to finish, I am busy.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,649 Posts
The first one was an all in one. It was great, held my tools, seat, steps tool, the only problem was when I had to move it around doing some crown.....too heavy. My back was killing me.
You can make light and sturdy boxes, etc using a cedar frame and then fir ply (too soft for rough use) or 1/4" hardwood ply. Build the frame, then sheath it / tack and glue in place. Functional, but not necessarily pretty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts