Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I used to wear double pouch tool belt but the last several years I switched to a lighter 4 pouch on the left side only. I try not to overload it with tools I don't need. Hammer on the right side in a loop, tape measure and whatever nails or screws I need for the job we are doing. and my speed square. so it's not really that heavy. I keep a tool bag near where we are working to get any other tools I might need. The last several weeks I have this pain in my left hip when walking, it's worse in the morning but feels better later in the day as I start to loosen it up.
I've never had this before, wondering if it's from having the pouch on the left only and why it would just start up now after I have had the pouch on the left for several years. I may start just keeping the pouch off all together for a week or two and see if it gets better, it not go to the DR. I'm 37 and I don't feel I overload my pouch with a lot of weight like I see some guys doing. I don't need a lot of things that end up falling out or hurting someone's nice flooring or furniture when working inside a finished house.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,385 Posts
Chiropractors love cops and construction workers. At least we're not constrained from adjusting our loads like cops are.

You might try suspenders. PITA, but better than pain. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Could be just the way your walking to keep the bag from bouncing or something like that. Doesn't have to be heavy.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I had the same thing, dealt with it for like a year went to the dr. Said it was from over use of the muscle on the outside of the hip from climbing ladders, squating, getting in god awful positions all the time. He gave me some stretches to do, i never did them. fast forward 6 more months i went to a chiropractor for lower back pain, he crunched me like 4 times and bam it all disappeared. Nothing hurt at all it was great. Of course once again i didnt do the daily stretches he told me to do that would prevent me from coming back and its starting to catch up to me again.

I ditched wearing a belt to, my pants have enough pockets to keep what i need most of the time in them, i got a single nail pouch and a hammer loop.
And i agree working in someones finished kitchen last thing i want is to turn around and have my hammer or square gouge a new cabinet or fall out and dent the new floor.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I haven't changed how I walk though. I'll go see a chiropractor first. I have only been to one once before.
Something like this is from Repitition. And Yes A Good chiropractor can help tremendously. I go to one regularly & he keeps me away from Pills & Doctors.............. I used to carry an electrician's pouch strapped on my shoulder for hours for years & it damaged that shoulder & neck.
I also want to point out to everyone here not to carry your wallet in your back pocket all the time. This will also affect your back & hips ect getting your spine out of alignment........... I learned this about 10 yrs ago, and have been carrying it in my front pocket since.
I will bet that alot of you have noticed this about your wallet especially when your driving................. Got to think about Preventive Maintenance for ourselves too!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Remember to always carry an even load. I was always told that if you put anymore weight on one side of your body than the other it will affect you over time. My wife knows kids who have back problems at her school just because of the way they carried their back packs on one shoulder. I know some brick hod carries who's back are a mess and they now have major issues with thei backs.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Hire a personal assistant to hold your tools.

LOL

I'm with warner an apron is great even helps keep you clean.

Cole

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
My right hip has been acting up lately. I actually found that certain brands of work pants are cut funny and fit my hips awkwardly.

They need to make Dickies out of Spandex or something.:laughing:

Anywho, I have double bags with a wide, padded belt that helps quite a bit.

I've had the hip pains on and off over the last 20 years, along with several hundred other quirky little discomforts.:rolleyes:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I tried suspenders, but they actually caused shoulder problems for me. I found them to be very uncomfortable with lots of bending or reaching overhead, which happens quite often when framing or trimming.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Lone, that's strange, I don't notice them at all. Maybe just takes getting used to?

The Air Lift Rig is really light, I had a set of leather side bags, but after years they started bothering me. Went to the air lift and have never looked back.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts