Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a family member a favor and did a 32 square two layer tear off. It was interesting to find out that the HO that built the house used like nine nails per shingle:furious:. This was a low pitch job at 5/12 and a ranch to boot.
I learned one thing.....you guys that do this type of work day in and day out have my respect. I know I am getting to old for this kind of work. I hired two out of work guys from my church who needed a hand.
The roof came out great but that will be the last one I ever do. You roofers are tough guys in my book:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ya, do them with two guys all the time, (not 10-15) and my Father is 56 years old. Some think they are tough as nails, but they usually have quite a bit of help around them.

Just wish all the "10-15 man" guys wouldn't take up all the work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i think a 5 or 6 man crew makes things moves smooth anymore then that it makes it really hard to keep an eye on the quality.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
Just did a 5 layer tear off on a city row home. The layers from the top were torch down, hot mop, another layer of hot mop, tin roof, then a cedar shake at the bottom.:eek:

It was almost 3" thick. A 6sq rip weighed almost 5 ton.:no:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just did a 5 layer tear off on a city row home. The layers from the top were torch down, hot mop, another layer of hot mop, tin roof, then a cedar shake at the bottom.:eek:

Wow! we've never done one that bad. Hope you bid it accordingly:thumbsup:

·
Registered
732 Posts
In Brooklyn and Queens, its not unusual to find brownstones with 15+ layers of rolled roofing. On the house my dad bought, a 7 1/4 circular saw just made it through the roofing, if you wanted to cut the deck along with it, you needed a bigger circ saw or sawzall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One built up roof i removed a few years ago was 40 squares we removed over a 1,00,000 pounds of roofing from it,i believe it would have collapsed if it had not been a solid concrete building.It was flat when i plugged it,when we were done tearing off it had about a 2/12 pitch to it. It was a big surprise as plugged it and never caught the extra roofing.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
In Brooklyn and Queens, its not unusual to find brownstones with 15+ layers of rolled roofing. On the house my dad bought, a 7 1/4 circular saw just made it through the roofing, if you wanted to cut the deck along with it, you needed a bigger circ saw or sawzall.
Circ saw didn't even make it through the roof on this one.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Circ saw didn't even make it through the roof on this one.

Yep, thats pretty much what you need to expect when working on a brownstone. Original Tin roof, razor sharp followed by 10-15 layers of rolled roof. The scary thing is, the rafters on these buildings are usually 4x8's spanning 21 ft. Its not unusual to see 3-4 inches of deflection in the center. When we remodeled my dads, we actually restructured the 3 floor ceiling to be structural and supported the rood load from below. Between that and removing the roofing, the roof deck is sound once again.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Typical Chicago roof of what you described would be cedar shingle, asphalt shingle, asphalt shingle and then 1-2 layers of 90# roll roofing. I'm not sure why they hot mopped it.

ON low slope roofs, what you described (other than the cedar) is not unusual. We have torn off low slope roofs 5" thick with no insulation, just 5" of roofing materials. Typically a tar and gravel mopped directly to a roof deck. Then a tar and gravel over that, and seldom do they ever sweep off the gravel. On top of that a smooth BUR, maybe another smooth BUR, and then a smooth modified bitumen. Yep That's very typical Chicago flat roofing.

I did a job once that was fesco insulation mopped to the fluted metal deck, with a tar and gravel mopped to the fesco. The tear off was the MOST EZ tearoff we've ever done. Pitch fork below the insulation, a little leverage and the whole insulation board popped right off the deck. Work that day was like a party. We need more jobs like that.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
These stories and pics of 5 inches of flat roofing make the 5 layer shingle tear offs seem easy!

Still the worse was the three layer tear off redeck. Cedar, cedar, and three tabs. I would rather do the 4-5 layer asphalt with maybe one cedar then two cedar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Never had 15 layers to deal with:eek:. I thuoght dealing with shingles that are stapled down were a pain. I will never complain about roofing again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts