Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished drywall and taping for 4 ceilings. Total 13 sheets over existing 9' ceiling. Dining,kitchen,pantry and bath three men first day and two men second and third day. My question is, is this ridiculously slow?
I'm pretty rusty when it comes to taping my experience is mostly commercial work my two helpers are very inexperienced. The HO lived their so we were constantly moving furniture and cleaning etc.

Thoughts? thanks in advance

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Just finished drywall and taping for 4 ceilings. Total 13 sheets over existing 9' ceiling. Dining,kitchen,pantry and bath three men first day and two men second and third day. My question is, is this ridiculously slow?
I'm pretty rusty when it comes to taping my experience is mostly commercial work my two helpers are very inexperienced. The HO lived their so we were constantly moving furniture and cleaning etc.

Yup.... it is. But then again you probably don't get a lot of this kind of work. Mark it off as a learning experience and see where you can speed things up in the future. Hiring a good hanger and finisher for a day would be your best bet to start with as they will be a lot faster. Maybe some helper for moving furniture also. It sucks doing this kind of work in a occupied house some times. I always plan on making this phase a 1 day kind of job including taping and bedding in with hot mud.

·
Registered
468 Posts

I think that is pretty good considering the guys were not experienced and the house being occupied. Jobs like that take much longer. The 3rd man on first day was probably just laborer Im guessing. If the owners are happy and it turned out good feel lucky.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. If it were my house I would have hired someone to do it. lol Around here lot of people use blueboard and plaster especially for ceilings. I wish I knew someone who taped well.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Next time cut two opposing slots in a empty drywall bucket , thread a piece of tape, add mixed up mud, pull out x amount of feet folding it over on itself,

Apply by hand over seam, have a dude with a knife go behind you with a hawk smoothing it out or if your quick enough you can do it by yourself!

Me by myself with my lift would of hung the ceiling in the morning taped it before I left came back muffed it, twice if I could

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Next time cut two opposing slots in a empty drywall bucket , thread a piece of tape, add mixed up mud, pull out x amount of feet folding it over on itself,

Apply by hand over seam, have a dude with a knife go behind you with a hawk smoothing it out or if your quick enough you can do it by yourself!

Me by myself with my lift would of hung the ceiling in the morning taped it before I left came back muffed it, twice if I could
A chit box!!:laughing:

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Learn to use hot mud you can cut out i full day. As you can tape and first coat the first day. 2nd coat and finish coat 2nd day. Use pre mixed for final coat.
It's a fast setting compound ! Not fast drying. A rush job Is just that!
A rush job!:whistling

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Yup Smaller they are they take aslong as the big ones you work yourself out of work too fast!!

Then add having people crap in the way they could of moved a day before you showed up!

I guess it's easier for them too come up with excuses why it's still there though!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm curious to know what a plaster would charge per ceiling? I would think it would be a lot more efficient. Possibly with three experienced guys they might have finished in a day. Obviously bigger jobs especially commercial jobs I am sure it's more cost effective to hang drywall and tape.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm curious to know what a plaster would charge per ceiling? I would think it would be a lot more efficient. Possibly with three experienced guys they might have finished in a day. Obviously bigger jobs especially commercial jobs I am sure it's more cost effective to hang drywall and tape.
Tree-fiddy......:whistling

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

I think you would have protected the floors, moved all the furniture and covered it in plastic, then hang one room, then start to move all the crap again...then say screw it and go home for the day.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Yea well of course you lay tarps move furniture, but after I gave them an extra bill, but hell yea I'd be out on two by one at the latest!!

You have to pace yourself on those kind of jobs!!!
I don't care how good 'those kind of jobs ' pay ! I'll take new construction over that chit any day ! Don't get me wrong! I do tons of reno /repair work each year..Me and my magic wand just gives er a tap !!:whistling!

I still prefer new construction . Always will.

When a H/O calls me after tearing out a bunch of walls And expects me to turn chit into jelly and I have a G/C on the other end with a 2500 sq ft home ?? I 'll jump on that G/C !

·
Registered
160 Posts
Its easy for us to say it took to long but till we're in there working we don't know what stuff your dealing with.like dropping a screwgun on a vase that great grandma had and trying to put it back together with caulk.
I am with the others on using quick set on tape and fill coat that will save u a couple trips

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.