Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wiping General Finishes Gel Stain (oil based) on some new maple bookshelves and it is supposed to get up to 88 today and 94 tomorrow.

General Finishes website seemed a little vague on exactly what temperature I should stop at and the only way I can find to contact them is via Facebook. I messaged them but I am not optimistic I’ll get anything useful.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on how hot I should let it get before I cut off for the day? I’m thinking above 75 is pushing it and 80 is asking for trouble but I really don’t know.

Thanks,

David

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Heat isn't going to really do much except make it dry quicker. Usually when they say heat they mean direct sunlight which will bake off the solvents quickly and dry the stain out before you have time to wipe it down. Being a gel stain it's pretty slow acting to begin with so you really shouldn't have to much of an issue with the color getting to dark on you.

Try the resin stains I use that dry in minutes where you have to be very active to stain a large pc without the stain getting so dry you can't wipe it off. I still deal with it in 90º weather.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i have been staining things for over 40 years and never once thought about the temperature before i stained something.
Git R Done!

nicko

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I went ahead and stained the bookshelves and it went on just fine.

I tried the number for General Finishes too but it was an automated thing and I couldn’t get through to a real person.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Push zero once or twice and a lot of times that'll get you to their phone operator. Doesn't always work, but it does a lot of times.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot about that trick, (sometimes just yelling helps if it’s a voice activated system )but I think this one was entirely unmanned and not meant to ever connect to a live human

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about that trick, (sometimes just yelling helps if it’s a voice activated system )but I think this one was entirely unmanned and not meant to ever connect to a live human
0 always works for me, may have to press it 20 times.... screaming GD MF'R POS SOB works sometimes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts