Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds a little crazy I know, but it is true,

For six weeks, you'll sit in on interviews with masters like Tony Robbins... Jay Conrad Levinson... Stephen Covey... Michael Masterson... Marshall Goldsmith... and many more...

Basically the way I read it, they know the government isn't going to hand your small business a bailout, so they decided to try and help.

Now to be fair, they will be continuing on after the six weeks and if you want to keep listening you will have to sign up and pay. But the first six weeks is completely free and you don't have to give them your credit card number to hold.

It isn't often that people of this caliber offer anything for free.

This isn't a prerecorded thing either, it will happen live starting Oct 29th, so if you're interested in attending move quickly.

Take a look and see if it's for you... Click here

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I didn't click, but the few names I do recognize are motivational speakers and not marketing experts. I'll give them credit for knowing how to sell books, tapes and seminars though.

Good Luck
Dave
I think you have been misinformed. Sure, you can group all these people into the group "motivational speaker" but that is as far away from reality as possible, especially with Robbins.

Jay Conrad Levinson is the author of Guerrilla Marketing

Stephen Covey wrote one of the best business books ever

Half the people listed have been college professors

The website seems linked to Jay Abraham, an expert in marketing.

As much as that website screamed "run!" it seems to be somewhat legit. Time will tell.

There was a seminar locally here that was for some ridiculous price, like $5. Had a few big names. They kept advertising full page ads in the paper. I was so tempted to go, but I was thinking "how good could this possibly be?" I passed. The day came and the place was lit up. Quite a few of my friends went and they said they had a real good time. What can go wrong for $5?

Same with free? Give them a junk email if you're worried about spam.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There are easier ways...

Obviously, the plan is to give those who sign up an appetizer and try to sell seminars, tapes, and etc. Nothing wrong with that, these folks have some terrific sales ideas that all of us could benefit from. However, you can just go buy a couple books and step up your selling skills with a lot less hassle and for only a few dollars. Tony Robbins has some great stuff. I read some of his early books and feel grateful to gain some of the information. Some of it works and some seems corny. It is much like a salad bar, take what you like and leave the rest.

The point is, go buy a book and read. You can read parts of books before you buy, read reviews and narrow your area of interest. There's a wide range of techniques available all within the scope of sales and understanding your prospects. Cildini is a little deep, Robbins is a little out there but well worth the time and effort. Check out Amazon to find your level of interest.

One name not mentioned on the list is Tom Hopkins, who is/was a real estate sales guru. I read How To Master The Art Of Selling 25 years ago, and WOW what a difference language can make. As an example, consider whether it sounds better to your customer when you say "I SOLD one of your neighbors, John & Betty Smith" or does it sound better if they hear you say " John and Betty Smith chose our company to build their new _______ and are really enjoying it". Tom helps you see how you appear to your prospects with helpful hints on how to improve the customer's view.

There's no risk, simply buy a book and read a few pages. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The ROI is immeasurable.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I think you have been misinformed.
Wouldn't be the first time I've heard that. I think my wife coined the phrase just before snowflakes were invented.

I was into the self help books for awhile years ago. This is where I was first introduced to Tony Robbins and Steven Covey. They are great motivational speakers and writers along with a slew of others (Zig Ziglar and Earl Nightingale are 2 favorites).

Granted, it is possible that they have moved into a new market segment since then. I still think of them as book sellers more than marketing counselors. Not my first choice when it comes to marketing for a contractor.

I know some college professors myself. Their profession does nothing to set then apart from the balance of humanity. There are some great minds and some that seem to need help tying shoes.

Not at all saying it would be a bad thing to attend. I just wouldn't go in thinking my business was about to change for attending.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All True Enough

Some good comments, I'm glad to see you all took a look at this.

They do say "Free" all over the page and it is true that they "offer you" the option to pay for their seminars right now.

However you don't have to pay now and you don't even have to give a credit card now. So, my take is this, if you want to try it, try it, don't give a credit card number, (therefore you can't get automatically charged for anything).

Listen to the six weeks worth of information and see if it helps you at all? If it does maybe you'll want to subscribe if it doesn't don't subscribe, it's your choice.

I do agree with, framerman, if you're afraid to give a legit email address set up a free hotmail address and give them that.

At the very least everyone on the panel is a multi-millionaire, which is more than I can say for me, I'm going to try it and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having a little trouble signing in to the webcast for the League of Extraordinary minds. They must have filled their servers past capacity. I'm assuming they will be sending out a replay. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this problem.

Finally did make it to the page for the program but it appears to be dead.

If you are having trouble getting on too, be sure to check your email tomorrow for something from them.

·
Roofing sales pro
101 Posts
The only pro in home improvement is monroe porter. He can be found on google. and no thats not me. everybody i have ran into or is a big name sells eveything from washing machines to office products. Hence what do they know about known about the correct way to close someone you are asking 10k now. Just my thoughts.

·
Gumby
112 Posts
Whats up with all the "Motivational Speakers", are there no Business men or Industry leaders, people who own construction companies? Thats who I want to hear from and take advise from.
These speakers kind of remind me of our Goverment Leaders who tell us how to get it done. A bunch of Lawyers who never have done business as we know it.
The best business advise I have received so far was from a painter. I am in the concrete industry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts