Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
why on plastic? in Florida? its holding in the moisture
air/moisture will go in and out of the wood constantly, expansion gaps are needed as is making sure moisture never gets trapped

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,534 Posts
Unless you condition the space inside the caboose to limit temperature and humidity swings, that wood is going to be constantly moving according to weather conditions. That alone, regardless of any other factors, means that this is a war you won't win.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'll answer both of you guys.

If the comment about leaving a space on either side is the answer I think I'm going to slowly kill myself. I've installed a lot of laminate floors and I've no that's really important. But I never thought it would be with this wood but it makes total sense. No I did not leave any space at all I made it as tight as possible!
As for the old homes I know about subflooring their runs diagonal there's actually space between those subfloor pieces. I just don't think I would have done that in Miami because it's better to take totally keep moisture out and if you do what you said there's so much moisture in the ground it would come up also. I just had to install a dehumidifier under somebody else's house in historic Coral Gables which is all wood floor houses. We had to go in and put 6 mil plastic underneath the house directly on the dirt and then put it in the middle fire there so I don't think I could do that here. But I think my issue is I don't have the doors and windows in this Caboose so moisture and humidity is getting to it. So basically I screwed up

Attachments

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
If you can keep moisture out of wood in Florida you should get a medal
It's impossible

Laminate floors are nothing like solid wood floors, you should see what happens when a 50 gallon fishtank empties on a floor. It buckled and curled up 24" above the subfloor, a laminate floor would just have increased in thickness by 50-75%

·
Registered
27 Posts
Run a track saw down both sides is the easiest way to make the gap. If you don’t have one you won’t believe how handy they are once you get one. Every now and then I forget and make a mistake that I made 30 years ago and thought I had learned from. I think that there is a difference between having plastic over a dirt crawl space and directly under the wood floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts