Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a cartridge that's 23 bucks vs. 80 bucks from brother. Is there much difference and are the replacements generally as good of quality?

·
Not so new guy
34 Posts
Depends on the printer. Printer ink supplied by the printer manufacturer is much more expensive. Sometimes the printer will reject cartridges NOT made by the printer manufacturer. I had this issue with my Canon Pixma. I was able to bypass the error and get the printer to work with the cheaper replacement cartridge. I did not notice a difference in quality.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,456 Posts
You can often get third-party cartridges cheaper than OEM, especially rebuilt ones. Quality is usually fine.

But for that price difference, sounds like you might be looking at a lower-capacity cartridge.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
It will work fine, you likely won't get as many print jobs from the aftermarket but with that big of a price gap it shouldn't be a problem.

If you have a ton of printing I mean several thousand pages a month look into leasing a printer where toner is included.

Advised one of my customers to go that router and they went from spending 1200$ a month on toner to under $400 a month on printer leasing and they get the toner included plus same day maintenance free of cost.

I should mention they were also able to get color laser printers.

·
Super Moderator
Drywall, Texturing and Painting
11,348 Posts
Sometimes the ink level feature doesn't work with aftermarket toners and cartridges. Which can be a pain if you're printing a bunch of stuff and you don't catch that the ink is about to run out... BTDT. :shutup:

·
Banned
9 Posts
I want to request you to don't change the cartridge immediately. If the cartridge gives a low color tone, Then you just open the cartridge and shake it sometimes gently. After that just set the cartridge in the printer then it will work again like before. After its finishes, Then you can go for the new cartridge.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
67,646 Posts
I just use the Epson EcoTank. Going on 3 years with the first load of ink. Replacement ink for all 4 colors is about $60. I print what I want, when I want and don't worry about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts