Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Why don't you rig something up for those fancy air compressors that all y'all nail bangin' types drag around with you? Screw a piece of pipe into a plunger head, stick a quick coupling on the pipe end, then blow the water out with it. Shouldn't cost more than $10.

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
What I've done in the past is, after flushing with the water turned off to empty the tank, I dump a bucket of water into the bowl. Usually, most of the water drains right out - a least enough to remove the bowl without dumping water all over the floor.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have an old garage sale wetvac specifically for the job. Gets all of the water out of the tank too, if you're just changing out the valve.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Gettin' serious about havin' a dry terlit

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pipe, That 'toilet pump' looks just like a bilge pump for a small boat. Cross marketing?

·
Registered
117 Posts
:Thumbs:
PipeGuy said:

Pipe,
I use one very similar to this, except it has a brass body and plunger rod. I replaced the original hose with a longer piece of tygon tubing so it would more easily reach the tub drain. It works great, and it's a lot less cumbersome than a wetvac.

Teetor, you're dead-on. :Thumbs: It is in fact a manual bilge pump. My fishing fanatic father gave me mine; but you should be able to pick one up at your local marine supplier or even at Wally World.

-Rhett

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, it's not that bad! It's not like it's raw sewage. BTW, don't chew your fingernails.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
I'M JUST SICK OF TOILET WATER GETTING ON ME! :cheesygri
Well bust my buttons! Why didn't you say that in the first place! That's a horse of a different color!

How 'bout this?

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
seriously

My plumber who I have known for years was just over the otherday. Here is the way he would handle it. First shut water off to toliet than flush toliet than take plunger plunge as much water out of bowl you can. Then he would get the small wet vac he keeps in his truck. Suck water out of tank and then the bowl. Then he would go out front door dump in front yard and put small wet dry vac back in truck. Its not a very big wet dry vac. :Thumbs: :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a resiviour, per say, beyond what you see in that toilet. It is a built in trap, and is sealed to create the siphon phenominon needed to clear the toilet when flushed. The best idea I have seen here to clear the unseen water is the accordion plunger. Put it in place, make one stroke, remove, repeat until you don't hear any more water in the system.

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
Now I know why I hate plumbing. If I wanted to muck about in someone else's sh#* I'd still be practicing law.-- There's a thought - hire a lawyer. For $ 600 an hour he could lick the bowl clean and dry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You know the old addage, "...someone's got to do it." Just do it the right way and protect yourself from the "icky" lol. Wear protective gloves, and spray everything down with Lysol or a reasonable facsimile before you begin. Then what you are doing is cleaner than what a lawyer does for a living...Go to page three for more lawyer bashing...sorry, it's just something I do...I'm divorced.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You guys are pretty strange when facing ackypuck. Guess you never spent much time on boats when the head gets rebuilt about once a week.
I also worked for a public utility and took a few baths in wastewater. Never got sick and still around.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts