Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they make a cap for toilet flanges? During tile removal or any flooring replacement we don't want to put bowl back anymore and leave it for a plumber, sometimes it's not right away and I don't want a backup or methane gas through the piping. Dam supply line wouldn't shut all the way and I didn't have anymore caps on the truck so off to Home Depot killing production time.
I don't want to go looking for a product they don't make, maybe have to get it at supply house ?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
They make pipe caps. Couldn't you just use one of those? They make them for 3" & 4" pipes along with other sizes. Not really a flange cap, but do you think that would work?

Just Google 3" pipe cap. Cheap too

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Besides stuffing a rag in the hole, there are the rubber plugs. They are black rubber with a steel plate on the one side with a wing nut. Put the plug in the hole and tighten the wingnut. It will compress the rubber, making it expand to plug the hole.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like cheap cause it will be left there but I don't know about sealing it with the cap , no resistance to pressure from line.
Just want something to look secure and professional, the plate sounds good with rubber seal, I guess I could make a few as well with gasket material and flat plastic of some sort. I'd like to pick it off the shelf though.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
BCConstruction said:
Just use the oatey test plugs in 3" or 4" they ain't expensive about $5 each but they will last forever.
I got side tracked by my kid. But that's what I was gonna say. We always put one of those in as soon as we pull the toilet. Keeps smells out and also keeps debris from going down the pipe. Easy to just vacuum off the top before removal.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Just use the oatey test plugs in 3" or 4" they ain't expensive about $5 each but they will last forever. View attachment 115105

Yup, that's what I use too. They work great.

Quick story:laughing:, I will never use rags again. I was building a garage for a guy. I was at the point where it was just the concrete slab and I was starting the framing. The plumber left a 4" pipe stubbed up, so with his permission I cut it flush with the concrete so it would be easier to roll my scaffold around. I had a giant beach towel in the truck I figured I stuff in there until I picked up a test cap.

Well it rained that night and wouldn't you know the beach towel got sucked down the sewer, it made it pretty far and the HO's house was backing up in the basement. I had to call the plumber out on that sunday to pull it out:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
810 Posts
This is an easy one. You get your helper some party balloons and have him put one in his mouth, then get his face right down there in the wax and start blowing up the balloon. Once it's full, he can just tie it off.

Voila. :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a helper, my brother and I work together, we're our own helpers start to finish, I question it a lot to have one but life's a little easier without, tools that save time are my equalizer.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
This is an easy one. You get your helper some party balloons and have him put one in his mouth, then get his face right down there in the wax and start blowing up the balloon. Once it's full, he can just tie it off.

Voila. :)
This is nothing short of genius.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah now it works after all I wrote cleared. Well the 3&4" caps didn't work on flanges, too big or small. Walked on a job today with open flange and dropping supply line. Kinda didn't think the caps would work but gave the benefit of doubt. What kind of advice was that when it doesn't work? You get what you pay for! Food Plant Tomato Fruit

Tile Floor Flooring Room Bathroom

Food Plant Tomato Fruit

Wall Floor Room Flooring Wood

Plumbing fixture Lock

Snake Boa constrictor Cuisine

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3-1/2" inside diameter of flange at a bevel also, may not fit the ones in my area, there's probably 20 different flange setup/repair flanges, dam thing from top was 1" above slab, not even set level.
That was a strikeout on that attempt, dam luck. I have some flanges on truck may have to modify an extension .

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I am aware of the flaring of the rubber seal as the backer plate raises toward top of cap compressing against pipe. The 3" fit down into pipe (the whole thing ) the 4" wouldn't go into the 3-1/2" opening and can't attach to the bevel.
I didn't want to waste(pun) time creating a 2 second fix that the caps will provide .

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
MIKE ANTONETTI said:
Yes I am aware of the flaring of the rubber seal as the backer plate raises toward top of cap compressing against pipe. The 3" fit down into pipe (the whole thing ) the 4" wouldn't go into the 3-1/2" opening and can't attach to the bevel. I didn't want to waste(pun) time creating a 2 second fix that the caps will provide .
The flange looks like a standard beveled flange from the pics. Pretty common flange in these parts and never had issue getting the plugs to fit. Perhaps the picture ain't showing the depth of the bevel accurately. They are about 1/2"deep bevels on the on the flanges I come across.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe it inserts inside of 4" PVC pipe, yes the bevel is approx 1/2" deep.
How do you get a +/- 4" rubber gasket to fit down far enough into a 3-1/2" diameter pipe?
I have a. 3" flange on truck but no bevel ,parallel walls that the plug sits in nicely.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts